+ Reply to Thread

Default mortis/tenon hand held machine

I seem to remember an old episode where Tommy was using a mortis/tenon machine instead of a biscut joiner. What was the machine/tool he was using?
    Thanks, Mike

Default Re: mortis/tenon hand held machine

M&T is a totally different joint than a biscuit joint and they're used for different purposes. I am unaware of a handheld M&T tool, most are either mounted on a drill press or a dedicated machine.

What are you trying to accomplish?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you can make a template and use a plunge router equipped with a spiral bit as well
    fire up the saw and make some dust

The tool which creates loose tenons is the Festool Domino

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

other wise known as a mortgage payment machine lol, if only festool was affordable. id love to get their mitre saw but it costs the same as my mortgage + truck payment does x2 up here in canada

Festool does make some interesting tools that appear to be really good quality. Unfortunately they are out of reach of just about everyone price wise. I guess someone is buying them though.

i know of a few guys who use festool, a poster on a different board only uses festool, id hate to see the bill his clients get.

last i checked, the domino is around $900
    kapex= 2300 canadian
    the jigsaw, drill sander 3 pack is 800
    plunger router $600 i think

I think Tommy was using it to assemble cab. face frames, square stock ,butted up,, It looked like an alternative to using biscut joinery. I'll check out the Festool site.THANKS for the input... Mike

Are you sure you are not talking about the Kreg Pocket Hole System?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by blackwood2010 View Post
    I think Tommy was using it to assemble cab. face frames, square stock ,butted up,, It looked like an alternative to using biscut joinery. I'll check out the Festool site.THANKS for the input... Mike
    If he was doing face frames, then it definitely was not an M&T joint. As Jack said, it it wasn't biscuited or just butt glued, then it was likely a pocket screw that he was using. I personally love pocket screws for things like this. While you can just glue a face frame together and get a good job, you're not waiting for glue to dry when you use a pocket screw (even though glue is used in conjunction to the screw).
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!