+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skylight drip

Default Skylight drip

Hi all,
    Just joined, but love home projects-so I know I'll be back alot.

I have a skylight in the bedroom that has just started to develope a slight dripping on particularly sunny mornings. It is pretty clear that it is coming from the low point of the slope and traveling down the drywall. I know that since it is 25 degrees out that condensation is a likely cause, but my quandry is that I also have one in the bathroom right next to the bedroom and have not had this start up in there (even with the shower going).
    I have been up top and checked the seams and re-sealed to be safe (these are old plastic bubble types with no flashing, but a 4" flap all the way around and an interior "pane" with an air pocket between) I also caulked all the way around the interior where the "pane" meets the drywall. Thought I had this fixed, but got another wake up call this morning with dripping noise. To make matters worse, the skylight is situated over our bed and worst still over my wife's side of the bed. Needless to say this is not something that can wait for our budget to allow to replace the whole darn thing. Any short term advice to stop the dripping? Thanks.

Default Re: Skylight drip

this is the first thought that comes to my mind with out seeing it.
    the air space between the two is supposed to act as insulation so that you don't have condensation. and the outside dome is some how letting cold air into the cavity between the two, which then allows condensation to form on the lower inside pane. I would inspect the outside one for cracks, or see if cold air is getting in around the edges.

Additionally, the weep holes in the frame could be clogged and/or the seal between the dome and frame may be compromised.

Clean the inner track of the frame as well as any weep holes. If that doesn't do it, remove the dome for inspection and cleaning of the mating surfaces. If the dome is damaged, take it to a glass shop and have them order a new one. DO NOT let the installer use double stick tape to set the dome, it does not work! Additionally, watch that any sealant used isn't smeared all over the place where it's either a mess or clogs the weep holes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Not sure if this makes a difference, but this is a deck mount install so I'm not sure about where I would find weep holes (I assume they usually are part of the framing?) Thanks.

Yes, the weep hole would be part of the frame.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Did you find the weep hole?
    I like having a Hidden Content .