+ Reply to Thread

Default How to reuses Sheetrock walls

Does anyone have an idea how i could cut walls (sheetrock walls), remove them and reuse them again. I want to insulate my walls but I'm on a very tight budget. i can't afford buying new walls for all 3 bedrooms. To cut cost am doing this project myself. My first time as a DIYer

Default Re: How to reuses Sheetrock walls

Howdy, it is mcuh to hard to remove and reuse drywall. IUf it waas installed with nails, it breakes into small pieces if screwed its hard to located the screws to back out without breaking the drywall. Instead consider blowing cellous insullation into the walls from the inside and patching the 2" holes you cut into the rock to blow in the insullation..... ya i know most is blown from the ouside but i'd rather repair the drywall then the siding....

Consider contacting the local utility and or city,county goverment to see if you can get assistance to do the insullation as many areas there is $ available.

Thanks for your response. Though i was thinking if am able tofind the studs and cut along them i should be able to pry the walls off, insulate, screw it back and seal the joints with compound/plaster. I was told that blown in insulation has a low r-value plus i had a case of mold on the walls b/4. Is blown in insulation water retardent or not?. I was adviced that it would be best to spray foam insulation cos that would seal any cracks, cervices or openings on the brick. Am at a loss cos i don't want to spend too much money.

Howdy, price replaing all the drwall becasue the idea of remoing and reusing it simply will not work out the way wou would like. Uising blown in cellous in the existing walls is the least expensive that i am aware of.
    Blown in cellous has good information on the web consider reading about it' usage. It has a great R value per Square inch and really good at stopping air infiltration...
    Spry foam is very expensive to us to fill wall cavities cellous is very inexpensive.

Thanks Timothy. I'll put into consideration all the suggestion and advice u gave. They've been very helpful and it has given me ideas on what to do

Buying enough additional mud and tape to reuse the drywall (extra joints and broken areas) will probably cost you almost as much as replacing the drywall. I would not put cellulose in a cavity that is prone to water infiltration.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

A 1/2"x4'x8' sheet of drywall will probably be between $6 and $9, depending on where you live. For larger quantities (10 or more sheets) you should be able to do some bargaining on the price. Like most lumber products, the price can vary from day to day and regionally.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.