+ Reply to Thread

Question Rough sawn interior trim

All the baseboard and window & door trim is 4" rough sawn wood. It's from the early 80s and I feel like it really dates my house. I would like to replace it with smooth finish wood, but I am realizing that would be very time consuming and expensive. Is it possible to remove the existing trim from the wall and plane(?) it down so it is smooth and then reattach? Is this something that is a realistic DIY project for someone who knows nothing about woodworking?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Rough sawn interior trim

If you have the equipment to do such a thing, yes it's possible, the question is, is it worth it. Miss one nail and you've destroyed planer and saw blades.

It is a lot of work to make your own baseboards, I know, I've done it. Buying really is much cheaper than the amount of time it will take you to do it yourself, especially if you have to invest in any tooling.

For your project I see the need for at least a planer or surface sander, electronic nail finder, and a router and table with a round over bit. That equipment will run you $500 to $1000 depending on the type and quality you choose. I can also see ripping the material down to a shorter height which means adding a table saw to the mix. You can buy new trim and install it for a fraction of the price and effort.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I know next to nothing about woodworking...now I know--best to replace with new.

Studio,

You might consider leaving the roughsawn trim and giving it a glazing treatment. Paint the trim with a light base coat followed with a slightly darker glaze to subtly highlight the texture. A kind of white on white treatment. A small squeegie helps in removing the glaze from the base coat.

Over the years, I used this technique to lighten up old roughsawn paneling in 1970's era family rooms. It lightened the areas up without the expense of tearing out the old paneling. It gives it a somewhat more contemporary look.

I would concurr with Spruce that it is probably not worth the effort to plane the trim, especially if you don't already own the equipment to do so.