+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sewer Gas Smell

Default Sewer Gas Smell

We live in a ranch style house with a finished lower level. I have a septic tank and laterals. (lateral field is only 3 years old) I just had a plumber replace all the old 4" cast iron pipe from septic tank into house for waste and venting to roofline. We also have a sump hole with pump, which does not connect to the septic system. The problem we are having is we have a terrible sewer gas smell coming from the lower level whenever someone takes a shower or we are running are fireplace upstairs. I have exhausted my resources. I have know where else to turn please help. We are tired of living with this.

Sincerely,

Sloanman

Default Re: Sewer Gas Smell

I would check that any drains in the basement have water in the traps. They may be dried out.
    The next thing to check is if the water in the traps is being sucked out. In that case there is probably a problem with the vents. Clogged, broken, etc.
    You didn't say when the problem started, so there is no way to know if the work on the septic is related.

I have this same problem whenever I run my dishwasher! The smell is very sulfur-like coming from the sink and garbage disposal. My home is relatively new, 9 years old. Do you think the Roter rooter guy should come out to snake the pipes or is there some kind of solution I can pour down the drain? I have tried vinegar, lysol, etc. nothing works. Help!

I've had the same problem, I've just paid a plumber over $2000 to investigate this problem. First, the air vent system is suposed to go thru the roof not just up to it. Also, in my case, were the vent lines just into the attic but they just barely went into the attic space filling the attic with septic smells. Ugh. Also all the vent pipes coming from the house, were not connected to a central pipe thru the roof. When the traps to any fixture dries out sewer smell can come up into the house. If all else fails, have a plumber do the "smoke test" to locate the gas leak. My neighbor suggest that I put ridex down the toilet bimonthly to help the systems digestive system to settle down. Good Luck with your plumber. My fixtures all enter a central vent stack, which I've been told is OK, but I wonder.
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesloan View Post
    We live in a ranch style house with a finished lower level. I have a septic tank and laterals. (lateral field is only 3 years old) I just had a plumber replace all the old 4" cast iron pipe from septic tank into house for waste and venting to roofline. We also have a sump hole with pump, which does not connect to the septic system. The problem we are having is we have a terrible sewer gas smell coming from the lower level whenever someone takes a shower or we are running are fireplace upstairs. I have exhausted my resources. I have know where else to turn please help. We are tired of living with this.

Sincerely,

Sloanman

Quote Originally Posted by Elton Buckner View Post
    I have this same problem whenever I run my dishwasher! The smell is very sulfur-like coming from the sink and garbage disposal. My home is relatively new, 9 years old. Do you think the Roter rooter guy should come out to snake the pipes or is there some kind of solution I can pour down the drain? I have tried vinegar, lysol, etc. nothing works. Help!
    The soil stack gas, methane, is coming back up through your kitchen plumbing. Vinegar/Lysol/etc. at best masks the smell but doesn't fix the problem. The "U" shape in the plumbing under your kitchen (and other) sinks are there by design, to hold water and keep that gas from coming up through into your house. Have someone come check if your dishwasher drain is correctly placed. It sounds like, when active, it's blowing the water out of the "U" and letting the gas pass into the house (very unhealthy). A short test, plug the sink drain(s) and put water in it/them before starting your dishwasher. If bubbles blow through the sink stopper, this would be the methane being pushed through the "U".