+ Reply to Thread

Default sears captive air water tank

We have a Sears captive air water tank - unsure of how old since it was in the house when we purchased 8 years ago. We were recently told that the tank's bladder could be deteriorating because the tank needed air. We haven't noticed any problems with pump running more than usual. So how does one know if there's really a problem?
    I received one quote thus far - plumber wants to replace the entire
    tank to the tune of over $1,000. I looked at the Sears site and while I don't see a replacement tank, I do see parts. And the bladder is one the parts listed.

How does one know if the entire tank needs to be replaced, or just the bladder. I found a website that shows how a tank is replaced, but haven't found any sites that indicate the cost of a tank as compared to the bladder.

Its an enclosed tank so you can't "see" inside.

Default Re: sears captive air water tank

Generally if the bladder is bad you will get water out of the air valve rather than air or the pump will short cycle. I have never seen a pressure tank that you could replace the bladder. Homedepot, Lowes, TSC, and plumbing supply stores all carry new pressure tanks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: sears captive air water tank

Received another quote yesterday for $1,400. Will check "big box" stores for tanks.