+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Wiring receptacle

I would like to wire a plug for my 220 volt welder unfortunately the main panel is on the other side of the shop from where I would like to put the welder. how far and what size of wire would be ok to use.

Default Re: Wiring receptacle

The distance is fine as long as you account for your voltage drop. Need the amperage to size the wire though.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMY L View Post
    The distance is fine as long as you account for your voltage drop. Need the amperage to size the wire though.
    Do you really think a person who would not list the amps drawn would be thinking about factoring in voltage drop?
    And the distance is a factor as well....

It's at least a 200 amp wire welder. Miller brand

220 ... 240 ....whatever it takes!

Quote Originally Posted by swadedvm View Post
    It's at least a 200 amp wire welder. Miller brand
    Might I suggest you read the input requirements on the welder label and that you hire an electrician. The information you have provided so far suggests you should not be playing with electricity.

bp21901-Yep!
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Might I suggest you read the input requirements on the welder label and that you hire an electrician. The information you have provided so far suggests you should not be playing with electricity.

bp21901-Yep!
    Jack
    Methinks his 200 amp number is the units output, and I also think you know that as well.
    Our OP needs to hire this one out...

sorry for the lack of info since I was at work and not at home where the spec were. it is exactly a millermatic 252. Figured most welders of certain amp production would be similar and that would give ya'll an idea. The rated voltage is variable either 200 or 240 the rated amps is 48 at 200 volts and 42 at 240 volts. I am mostly concerned about distance of wire from the main panel and heat production because they recommend 8 awg which when I look at the specs it is not rated for the amperage recommender for circuit breaker. I thought maybe I could get some good advice versus smart comments.

I wold gladly post any info you think you may need but if you need or would like it it would be much better to ask then to condescend on people asking for advice. I did not think plug configuration would make a difference on voltage/amperage etc. and i never said it draws 200 amps I said it is a 200 amp welder and the type of wire is not specified only size. I also figured different welding machine manufacturers would not try to reinvent the wheel each time and for a certain size welding machine they would have similar power requiements and licensed electricians would know or be willing to ask for that info. Sorry for those assumptions. The distance is approx. 75 to 80 feet. they say to use a 60 to 70 amp breaker. They say to use a 6-50r nema plug. The service panel is a 200 amp with 240volt, which I thought all standard panels came with two 120 legs so I didn't mention it. Oh, lastly, the duty cycle chart shows at max amp-250- it can draw up to 75 amps. So again this it outside of the above spec I told you. Is that ok. Once again I am sorry for the lack of Info, I did not know exactly what would be needed to determine the answer to my question, But I am glad to give the info if someone would ask.

We have to have some restraint when a poster asks a question, especially about wiring, when they don't seem to know enough to supply the basic information needed to supply an answer. Your original post and follow up gave that impression. You supplied no information about the input required, the length of the run or the model of the welder. Due to your lack of even having a hint of what basic information is needed it was proper for us to conclude that the proper course of action was to recommend you have the work hired out. It is not condescending just cautionary.

Unfortunately there is no standard. I have a stick welder that requires 60 amp/240 volt service and a wire welder that requires 30 amp/120volt service. Some 240 lines require that the common also be included to provide 120 volts for auxiliary equipment such as lights or motors.

Nema 6-50R [IMG]http://www.stay******.com/images/products_240x240/9120.jpg[/IMG]
    and 6-50P [IMG]http://www.stay******.com/images/products_240x240/8663.jpg[/IMG] are 50 amp plug and receptacle. Chances of you running the welder at max are pretty slim unless you are welding some pretty heavy iron such as " plate.

You will need a 50 amp breaker and #8 copper or #6 AL 2 cond plus ground. The voltage drop at 75 feet is within tolerance.

If you go to 60 amp breaker you would need #8 copper or #4 AL and a different plug and receptacle.

For your reference here is a wire size calculator http://www.gorhamschaffler.com/wire_...alculator.html But results should always be check against NEC.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 06-10-2010 at 04:16 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb