+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wood wall

Default Wood wall

My old house, circa 1906 has solid wood walls that have not been plastered. Unfortunately, the wood is uneven and has large gaps between the boards in places. I am wanting to be able to paint or paper the walls and know my options may be limited. If I install drywall, I will have to take off the window and door trim and floor molding leaving the issue of redoing the casings. If I butt the drywall to the trim, it ruins the effect. Is it possible to plaster the walls with mud and if I do, what are the consequences? IE; will it crack in time or if the house shifts? Are there other options that I have not thought about? Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated. All these problems these old houses cause, but oh what a joy to own one!

Default Re: Wood wall

If you plaster the walls you will have the same effect with trim as you would with sheet rock.
    Also to plaster you would have to apply a paper backing on any premiter wall, Metal lath would be required than at least, no less than 5/8 inch to 3/4 inch of plaster total thicknees about 7/8 inch over the existing wood.
    As for cracking YES it will crack due to the width of the planks.
    Mabe you should look at 1/4 inch drywall board. ( it is used for improving sound in multilayer partitions.)

Thank you for your advice. Would you remove the trim or butt it up next to it?

I just discovered similar walls below lath and plaster - I also had questions. I guess I am lucky as I have about 3/4 inches to work with. Hard to say what I would do in your place. Are you going to insulate also? You might have to remove the trim if you want traditional plater walls. How about thin luan with a paper on top?

I was wondering if I wanted to install a plastic vapor barrier below my blue-board, should I just sandwich it between the surfaces of should I raise the plastic/drywall above with 1/4 inch firring?