+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whacky Venting?

Default Whacky Venting?

I don't know if this is a simple anoyance or a bigger problem waiting to happen. There are some weird things going on with my drain vents and I have gurgling problems. Is there anything worth doing about these issues?

I really wish I could make sketches of my pipes but I'll try to talk my way through this

1) Kitchen,
    The kitchen sink drains pass through the floor to the basement at this point a pipe Ts off and passes outside to what I'm assuming was intended to be a vent pipe. It sticks out off the wall and is about 3ft of ~1/4" copper pipe roughly parallel with the ground. (I would think this should be vertical not horizontal.)
    The drain then goes to a main line. This is the only vent to this main line. It looks like the clean out plug to this line has an adapter in it so my untility sink & washing machine draining into it. The washer will cause gurgling in the kitchen.
    I assume none of this is to code but it seems to work ok.

2) Bathroom
    The main line for the bathroom looks like it goes straight up into your typical roof vent. The toilet is right there so it doesn't affect the sink and tub, but the tub and sink will cause each other to gurgle. The sink trap drops throug the floor to a pipe that T's into a pipe from the tub to the main line (no venting). The tub's pipe that the sink T's into is roughly level for about 5ft before going into a 1.5ft ~45deg connection to the main line.

It looks like this is all original from 1950 (execpt the utility sink and washer)
    Should I leave well enough alone or try to "fix" some of this?

Default Re: Whacky Venting?

From your discription, the only proper vent is the one on the toilet. Wit such a set up one device can end up sucing air in through another trap and even drianing the trap allowing sewer gas to enter. I would suggest you install proper venting. At the very least install Studor Vents.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Whacky Venting?

Quote Originally Posted by HankScorpio View Post
    I don't know if this is a simple anoyance or a bigger problem waiting to happen. There are some weird things going on with my drain vents and I have gurgling problems. Is there anything worth doing about these issues?
    Yes --- they should be corrected.

1) Kitchen,
    The kitchen sink drains pass through the floor to the basement at this point a pipe Ts off and passes outside to what I'm assuming was intended to be a vent pipe. It sticks out off the wall and is about 3ft of ~1/4" copper pipe roughly parallel with the ground. (I would think this should be vertical not horizontal.)
    The drain then goes to a main line. This is the only vent to this main line. It looks like the clean out plug to this line has an adapter in it so my untility sink & washing machine draining into it. The washer will cause gurgling in the kitchen.
    I assume none of this is to code but it seems to work ok.
    You assume correctly --- it's not to any code I'm aware of.
    It's not ok --- otherwise there wouldn't be "gurgling in the kitchen".

Who knows what the 1/4" tubing was for but it ain't doing diddly as far as a vent.
    Considering the minimum size require to vent the kitchen sink is 1-1/2" pipe --- that 1/4" tubing is merely a pinhole by comparison. Besides --- it's too far down below the kitchen sink to be of any use.
    The main purpose of a vent is providing air behind water ( vacuuum break ) for a gravity drain system.
    Air needs to enter the drain from above the trap for the kitchen sink.

Based on your other posts --- sounds as though you are in the process of renovating the kitchen. This would be the perfect time to correct this issue either by installing a Air Admittance Valve ( cheater vent ) like the Studor ( if allowed ) or by hard piping up and outside.

As for the clothes washer --- sounds like it's somewhere below the kitchen. The reason the kitchen sink gurgles when the washer is draining --- the venting is through the sink above --- sucking in air from the kitchen ---- down the sink strainer ---through the P trap --- down the drain pipe the washer is tied into.

The gurling noise is the water seal in the P trap is being sucked out --- which is not good.

The drain for the washer should also be vented.

That 1/4" is a hazard by the way --- never mind any odors.
    If it's wide open outside it can't be near any operable windows or doors.

Another thing to consider with a vent --- methane gas from the sewer system flows through the lines. If this 1/4" tubing is merely sitting outside wide open ---- methane gas is escaping and could be accumulating in that area. Methane gas is explosive --- any ignition source like a spark , lit cigarette , barbeque could be potentially disasterious.
    I would recommend that tubing be capped off or removed altogether.

2) Bathroom
    The main line for the bathroom looks like it goes straight up into your typical roof vent. The toilet is right there so it doesn't affect the sink and tub, but the tub and sink will cause each other to gurgle. The sink trap drops throug the floor to a pipe that T's into a pipe from the tub to the main line (no venting). The tub's pipe that the sink T's into is roughly level for about 5ft before going into a 1.5ft ~45deg connection to the main line.
    The trap for the sink needs to be above the tub drain and a vent added.

It looks like this is all original from 1950 (execpt the utility sink and washer)
    Should I leave well enough alone or try to "fix" some of this?
    I highly doubt this was original --- even if by chance it was , this needs to be corrected.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush