+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Replace wall-mount 1931 faucet; water emerges directly from sink (no spout)

I have a 1931 Republic wall-mount bathroom lavatory faucet that leaks. Replacing the washers doesn’t fix the problem and two plumbers have advised that the seats are stuck and attempts to remove them are likely to break the valve.

The water emerges directly from the sink; there is no spout. I would like to save the sink so I need a new valve. The only replacement candidates I have found are for tubs, such as a Kohler 302 or a Central Brass bath filler. Because these are for tubs, the flow rate is too great for a sink.

Does anyone know of a wall-mount, two-handle valve with a flow rate suitable for a bathroom sink? Failing that, can another valve be put in line to step-down the flow? The original valve has a 4 inch center-to-center spread, but I think there is room to accommodate an 8 inch center-to-center spread.

Default Re: Replace wall-mount 1931 faucet; water emerges directly from sink (no spout)

Before trying to replace, I would try a valve seat dresser tool and new washers to see if that takes care of the leak. If not shut the water off and soak the seat with WD40 or PBBlaster for a couple of days and try removing the seat.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Replace wall-mount 1931 faucet; water emerges directly from sink (no spout)

I don't believe you will find any replacement for that faucet as it is against all plumbing codes to have the water enters the sink below the flood rim.

John