+ Reply to Thread

Question drilling a straight hole

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question or not but will give it a shot. I have to drill a 1/2 inch hole 10 inches deep into wood outside my home to seat a piece of metal bar. The hole must be perfectly straight so that the metal bar will be level. Although my drill has a built in bubble level I was wondering if there is an attachment for my Ryobi drill that would allow me to control the drill much like a drill press platform? I've3 looked ****** for such a product without success. If not if anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it. I'm only going to get one shot at drilling this hole. Thanks for the help.

Default Re: drilling a straight hole

There are some drilling jigs available, though I don't know if they're worth it or not. I say do the best you can, install the bar, then bend it slightly if necessary.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Woodcraft, Rockler, and even Sears carry portable drill guides.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

thanks for the advice and suggestion. I'll try Sears tomorrow. Thanks again.

I use the drill's level bubble and a speed square held against the side of the drill.

The other thing would be whatever you are drilling into --- is it level or plumb ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush