+ Reply to Thread

Default Can a Ceiling Paddle Fan Controlled by 3Way Switches

A friend has a loft style cabin and is thinking about adding a Paddle Fan but does not want to go upstairs every time to turn it on or off. He was asking me if it was possible to control it with 2 3way Switches like they use at the top and bottom of stair lights. Is this a good way to do this? He is also going to use 3 way switches for controlling the light attached to it,the light will seperate from the fan switch?

Any issues with this NEC Code wise? He is in the planning stages the building is in rough construction condition right now. Just looking at his options.

Thanks in advance.
    MMeehan

Default Re: Can a Ceiling Paddle Fan Controlled by 3Way Switches

Yes you can use 3-way switches for fans and for lights. They do exactly the same thing a one way switch does turn the electricity on and off.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Update as to using 3 way switches with wireless remote controls;

The guy that owns the location where these were installed had the place finally inspected by the local Electrical Inspector and what happened was the Electrical Inspector told him they were wired up wrong because the fan / lights did not turn on instantly when the switch was used. I removed the remote control from one of the fans and it works correctly seems that because it does not turn the inspector has an issue. It appears that the remote goes dumb when the power is removed and in order for it to turn on you can't use the remote prior to inspection. Yet once the power is on from either switch the remote works and operates the light and or the fan. So now I have removed the wireless remote receiver from the fans and he is going to have it reinspeected and see what happens. The remote wiring seems to be easy enough but it does not meet te Inspectors requirements.

I was surprised but I guess that is just how it seems to go.

MMeehan

The inspector rules. Follow his suggestion.

When it comes to remotes, you can't find them anyway when you need them...

One of two things: 1) the inspector saw something wrong but did not explain it to the owner 2) the inspector doesn't understand remotes or electronics.

On GFCI receptacles power must be applied in order to reset the device and draw power. On dusk-dawn lights power must be applied and cycled before the sensor works properly, same for motion detectors.

An inspector (out of state) once issued a correction to one of my jobs because I used stranded #12 wire on receptacles and switches, which was clearly allowed by the UL ("White Book")rating. Instead, he insisted we us forked lugs, which is clearly dis-allowed. Go figure!

I've used remotes for log cabins wth 20 ft. ceilings/lights before..they work great!...good selection.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

I think he just does not know what electronics require that is different than Electrical either it works or it does not. I agree that with the technology and how fast it changes and what is readily available today hard to keep up. But it is back to the basics without the remotes the reason why we put them in is because it is above a stairs and not simple to get to it and be able to turn light on or off and change the speed of the fan but I will be going back once it is inspected and atleast put the remote back in for the one above the stairs. In case he decides to return in the near future and check it again. I have it wired the same way just with the receiver remote in place and with using the remote nothing works until you push any button on the remote.

Yet both switches will turn the fan/light off just won't turn back on till you use the remote for them. But Such is life...

Thanks just wanted others to be aware of this for future...

MMeehan

The inspector is wrong. A room may require a lighting outlet but there is no code designation as to where the switch must be.

I would agree but they have the finally say and rocking the boat might be having him stopping by on an unexpected visits.

So best to do as he asks and make the change after the last inspection is completed. Like most add things once they have all the inspections done.

We will see what happens I am inyerest in seeing what does happen...

MMeehan