+ Reply to Thread

Default Tics in the Grass

I live next to a wooded area and I am finding that there are tics in the grass not just in the woods. Is there anything natural or other to get rid of them and control them in the lawn?

Default Re: Tics in the Grass

I can tell you that fleas don't like eucalyptus, ticks may have a similar aversion. I get shredded eucalyptus tree trimmings from an arborist to mulch my flower beds. Not only does it work to keep fleas away naturally, it smells nice too. If you can find straight eucalyptus oil, you can mix 1/2 cup per gallon of hot water broadcast spray it. I would recommend starting against the house and work your way towards the perimeter of the property, this way you drive them away from the house and not towards it.

On the chemical front, Sevin is a flea and tick powder that you sprinkle around. I've used it, it works, but it is a chemical product if you're looking for green solutions.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Keep the grass cut short as possible. Permethrin works well against ticks. Starting from the house out sounds like a good idea. I don't think ticks move like fleas, but it wouldn't hurt. Then again ticks are likely coming from the woods and animals passing through. When I start seeing them on the dog I go around and hit all the shrubbery.

The Eucalyptus recommended by A. Spruce works well for fleas AND ticks. If you're unable to find it (and I'm sure you can find it ****** somewhere) and you HAVE to resort to chemicals, find a lawn insect product that contains a good bit of diazinon. This stuff ALWAYS worked for me in the past. Like you though, I choose to use a greener method these days.

Quote Originally Posted by gbecki49 View Post
    The Eucalyptus recommended by A. Spruce works well for fleas AND ticks. If you're unable to find it (and I'm sure you can find it ****** somewhere) and you HAVE to resort to chemicals, find a lawn insect product that contains a good bit of diazinon. This stuff ALWAYS worked for me in the past. Like you though, I choose to use a greener method these days.
    Unfortunately diazinon hasn't been available for years. Apparently it worked too well.