+ Reply to Thread

Default how to prune 22 yr old bushes next to house

I have a house front full of 22 year old bushes (boxwoods, hollys and azaleas) that have taken over and do not fit in the spaces anymore and obstruct the front of the house despite my annual (and sometimes semi annual) pruning. I need to re-establish them as smaller bushes that don't overwhelm the house. I don't want to kill them with pruning so I'm asking for help in pruning without damaging them.

Help!!

Default Re: how to prune 22 yr old bushes next to house

rejuvenate prune or rejuvenation pruning look it up.
    the timing of when you do this varies by species and your location (climate and weather pattern).

It will be very difficult to make these smaller without damaging them. All three of these species will be damaged if cut back too far. They don't readily sprout from old wood, but do so somewhat. You can try pruning every year by removing the new growth and some of the older growth, but don't cut back to bare branches all at once. Try a little here and there, and see what works.

mpriley05 is correct about pruning back, it can be difficult. Consider cutting out and updating for fastest results. Keep in mind that tall shrubbery along the house wall can also conceal intruders from the street.