+ Reply to Thread

Default Tape on outlet terminals

I've seen advice on replacing of outlets where it was advised to wrap electrical tape around the outlet to cover the terminals. My question being:
    By wrapping electrical tape around the outlet, doesn't this Become a fire hazard by preventing the outlet from dissipating heat?

Default Re: Tape on outlet terminals

If the outlet is getting that hot , you have bigger problems than a couple of wraps of tape .

Quote Originally Posted by Learner View Post
    I've seen advice on replacing of outlets where it was advised to wrap electrical tape around the outlet to cover the terminals. My question being:
    By wrapping electrical tape around the outlet, doesn't this Become a fire hazard by preventing the outlet from dissipating heat?
    Going on that assumption, then the plastic coating and Romex sheathing could become a problem as well.

Taping the terminals of an outlet is to keep you from touching them to the sides of a metal box and other equipment in the box. A secondary reasoning is that it keeps you from getting zapped when working on it, however you're NEVER supposed to be working on live wires. A couple wraps of tape are not going to cause it to generate heat
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!