+ Reply to Thread

Post blackwater showing from lateral line

my lateral lines are starting to show signs of black water. my septic tank has never been pumped in 30 years, until i saw this in my laterals. the man who installed the septic and laterals years ago said as long as i used ridex regularly, i would never have to have the tank pumped. we were not regular, so now we are starting to pay the price. i was told by the man who pumped the tank recently, that bakers yeast is just as good as ridex to build extra bacteria. i was also told by someone else, that all bakers yeast does is cause foaming.
    should i continue to use ridex once a month in order to try and clear the laterals from any blockage.
    we dont put grease in the lines, nor drive over the lines, nor roots from trees, etc. we do however run showers, and laundry freqently.
    i was thinking of putting a double portion of ridex in, and then running the shower to force water to take the ridex out to the laterals directly instead of letting it sit in the tank. thus hoping to put the ridex bacteria at the areas showing some blackwater.
    any help you can give would be appreciated.

what do you think. what is my best option without

Default Re: blackwater showing from lateral line

The best thing you can do it pump the tank on a regular basses, every 3 to 5 yrs. If you don't then your taking the chance of having to replace the drain field.

John

Default Re: blackwater showing from lateral line

You need to get it pumped on a regular basis depending on usage. If the usage is light probably every 10 years and more often depending on more usage. All the bacteria in the world will not eat all the solids in your tank.

Smile Re: blackwater showing from lateral line

thanks for the imput. i answered but evidently didnt do the right buttons on this page ha.

the man who pumped the tank a few weeks ago saw a lot of sludge. this was after 30 years. he couldnt believe it.

he said that all i would need to do is put a lb. of bakers yeast in the tank, once a year. that should do the trick, and also pump every 3 years ( which we will do from now on).

my concern/question is: does bakers yeast actually work. will it find its way down the laterals and possibly help free up the lateral that has some blackwater showing?

or should i use ridex, and double it for a month or two, hoping it will work its way to the area where the blackwater is showing above ground.

thanks again for your quick responses. they are helpful. mike