Re: Ceiling fan balancing
Jimmy is right, balancing kits are available at any hardware store or home center, they'll be in the electrical/lighting section.
Fans can be out of balance for many reasons. It could be from a bent or damaged blade, it could be a heavier blade, it could be loose screws, etc.
- Start with cleaning the fan blades with a vacuum and damp sponge and tightening the blade and bracket mounting screws, there is usually three screws on the blade and two holding the bracket to the motor.
- Get yourself eye level with the blades and slowly spin them by hand. Look for blades that are higher or lower or if the pitch (tilt of the blade) varies. You can carefully tweak each bracket to bring all the blades into symmetry.
- Turn the fan on and see if the above changes made any difference. If not, then it's time to move onto balancing.
Balancing is a trial and error thing. First, you have to find the blade or blades that are the culprit. In the balancing kit you'll find a plastic fork. Slip the fork over the leading edge of any blade somewhere between the center and tip of the blade, turn on the fan and look for improvement or deterioration of balance. It's helpful to mark the blade you started on with small piece of tape and work your way around the fan from there.
- Once you start seeing improvement, move the fork further inboard or more towards the tip of the blade, if necessary, pinch a weight under the fork - do not permanently stick it.
- After you find the right blades you can permanently stick a weight. Notice I said blades, because there can be more than one blade causing the problem.
You will have to turn the fan on/off many many times to accomplish this task. It requires patience and preferably a helper who can operate the control switch for you while you're working. If your fan is so equipped, you can use the pull chain, however the wall switch is faster and easier in the long run.
Report back with your progress.
Last edited by A. Spruce; 06-03-2010 at 01:45 PM.
I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!