+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacement windows: wood vs. composite

We have received four quotes for replacement windows. Two are for wood windows clad in aluminum and two are for composite windows.

The wood windows are substantially higher priced than the composite windows, but we don't want to assume that means the wood windows are the better (more energy efficient) choice.
    If anything, we would think that the composite product would be the more technologically advanced/better choice.

However, we have no experience with windows and really don't know which way to go. Your opinion?

Default Re: Replacement windows: wood vs. composite

wood windows have are better for saving energy, the price tag goes up because more work is involved in the construction of them,

by composite do you mean fibreglass or vinyl, these two types are low maintenace, you dont have to paint them, recaulk on the brick mold except for where the siding meets the window.
    fire up the saw and make some dust

hey guys can you gave me some suggestion to select windows and doors.i want to change my home door and windows that look very old but till i am confuse that what kind of doors is perfect for my house.i love my home.

The best door out there is a fiberglass door, won't rot, rust, or dent like wood or steel can but you can stain to look like wood. Email me with details you are looking for in windows and doors and i can send you some information.
    Thank you,

Matt Burr
    Window & Door Buyer
    Village Home Center
    4650 hwy 7 North
    Hot Springs Village, AR 71909
    Office: 501-984-6074
    Fax: 501-984-6073
    Email: Hidden Content

Can anyone else elaborate on pros and cons of wood vs. vinyl windows? Some items I would be interested in:
    • Durability
    • Color Fading (particularly vinyl)
    • Energy Efficiency

Thank you!

After more research, it appears that the composite windows are superior to wood or wood clad in another material in terms of energy efficiency, maintenance, and longevity.

If you're focused on the energy efficiency you would be well advised to go with double-pane argon filled synthetic windows.

They have potential for the added benefit of tax credits that I believe run until the end of this year (2010).

Hope this helps,
    Jack

The aluminum windows transfer heat out of housse the most but with the wood window clad in aluminum it is greatly reduced. The "AL" of the window is more important- my opinion. AL is air infiltration you want the .1 not the .3 as one least air movement an 3 most. All manufactures have this number an many more other then the 4 printed on most windows.. The best as far as least energy transfer is fiberglass clad wood windows as far as i can find out. But $$ too.