+ Reply to Thread

Default Deck Post Cracks

I have a deck that was built August of last year. Yesterday when I was cleaning the yard, I noticed cracks on the deck post. The crack is on all of the sides of the post, a minimum of 0.5 inch deep and maximum is 1.5 inches. The size of the post is 6x6, 2 of are bending(I think). What's the allowable crack size for a 6x6 post? Thanks.

Default Re: Deck Post Cracks

cracks in 4x4 and 6x6 is inevetible, its not a structural issue as it doesnt weaken the post it just makes it less attractive. it just has to do with the wood drying out
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Thanks.

I need more inputs. Thanks again...

pretty much every deck or fence ive built the posts have had splits like this after 6 months or so, no matter how good the condition of the wood when we bought it from a lumber yard
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Post Re: Deck Post Cracks

When using "green" timbers, as in wet not tree hugging, you will see "checking" not a structural issue. The fiber is drying from the outside in, so the fiber must open up in order to allow the moisture to escape. Fir can twist as it drys, which can be a much bigger issue then the checking. Good luck, no worries.

I also have cracks in my new deck (I just had my deck replaced last Aug/Sept). My cracks are on the boards I walk on. I was going to call the contractor and ask them to come and replace at least one of the boards. But you are saying these cracks are normal and ok?

Quote Originally Posted by faud820 View Post
    I also have cracks in my new deck (I just had my deck replaced last Aug/Sept). My cracks are on the boards I walk on. I was going to call the contractor and ask them to come and replace at least one of the boards. But you are saying these cracks are normal and ok?
    Old post, but a problem that is not old.
    Though cracks are not that unusual, you don't want on the top deck this soon. After all this is where you might run around barefoot.
    Call the contractor and see what he can do.

I agree with @dj1 its better to call the contractor to get done all solved. This is exactly why I used composite decking material but good luck with your deck.