+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marble blocks

Default Marble blocks

In renovating the foundation of an old house in a quarry town, we have stumbled across about 150 square feet of 8-inch-thick, white marble blocks cut to roughly the dimensions of cinder blocks.
    I'm thinking of making them into a patio. Any cautionary advice? I'd hate to screw up a project involving approx. eight tons of stone.

Default Re: Marble blocks

Anytime you try to retrofit something designed for one thing to something else you end up with a lot of labor that just isn't necessary. I know that you hate to waste perfectly good construction material but trying to find a use for it that it wasn't designed for is an exercise in futility.

Default Re: Marble blocks

So you would just throw out all that marble?
    I can't bring myself to do that: It's beautiful stone, square cut on 5 sides, smooth finish, all quarried within probably 10 miles of the house.
    You're right that it's a lot of work, but it's so much more interesting than buying prefab granite pavers from the store ...
    of course I might be sorry in six months, when I'm trying to fit the last 80-pound block into place, but I have to try, you know?