+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Changed 4 outlets in one room and now 2 do not work, downstairs is effected too

Hi,

I changed my outlets in one bedroom above the garage, and I have done it plenty before. Not sure what I missed. I made a diagram to show what I am looking at. There are no overhead lights or outlets, just 4 outlets and a switch. There is a closet with an overhead light which I presume is pulling electricity from outlet #1. Outlets #3 and 4 do not work when I switched the power back on. I was sure I hooked it up wire for wire the way it was. Only difference is the old outlets mostly where the wire was pushed into the the back, my new ones require using the side screw.

So when #3 and 4 were not working I noticed that #3's white and black wires were crossed, where white and black where on the same set of screws but came from different wires. I switched the whites thinking maybe i made that mistake. My girl says the volt meter had it's light on when I flipped the power back on and she flipped the light switch.

Now I come back up and it doesn't do anything. To make matters worse, downstairs the garage outlets and lights do not work when the powder room light is on.

Any advise?
    MK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Room.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	3566  

Default Re: Changed 4 outlets in one room and now 2 do not work, downstairs is effected too

Did the wall switch originally work one of the four receptacles? If so you could have easily gotten one of your neutral wires crossed.

Default Re: Changed 4 outlets in one room and now 2 do not work, downstairs is effected too

My guess is you have a switch loop that is using a re-designated white for a hot rather than a neutral. It was probably wired to the outlet you stated had a white on the wrong side. Check the original outlets and see if one had the jumper on the brass screw side broken off to separate the two halves of the outlet. Did you check to see if the breaker tripped after you switched wires around?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb