+ Reply to Thread

Red face Should I replace the frame of my deck or build off of it?

I recently purchased a townhome that came with a deck. While it did pass inspection and is structurally sound, the deck is very weather beaten and could use a face lift. Many of the nails have started to pop up, some of the railings are a bit loose and my black lab has taken a liking to chewing on some of the railings. All of this being said, we have decided to re-do the deck. We were going to upgrade the stairs, railings and decking itself to trex composite decking. My question is, as long as it is structurally sound, so I need to replace the whole frame for the deck, or may I just utilize the same frame and replace floorboards, railings, etc. Thank you for your assistance.

Default Re: Should I replace the frame of my deck or build off of it?

re-using the existing may work it depends on two things, the condition of the existing framing and the configuration of hte new portion.

how do you plan on adding to the deck, make it longer or add a lower level or something? one thing to consider is the beam/ beams that are in place, they may need to be beefed up or old joists may have to converted to flush beams to do what you want.

your best bet is to post a photo of the existing and a sketch of what you plan to do
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Should I replace the frame of my deck or build off of it?

I will post a picture when I get home. I do not plan on putting an addition on to the deck, I just want to replace the floorboards that are already there, and the stairs.