+ Reply to Thread

Question Hot Water Heating

Do all Hot Water Baseboard radiators have a bleeder valve. I have two without one.

I keep my house fairly cool around 64 degrees. Should the boiler still keep the water at 180 degrees. The thermastat on the boiler is set at 180 but the temperature gauge reads 140 degrees. How do you know which one isn't working right. The thermastat or the temp gauge. thank you

Default Re: Hot Water Heating

Anthony:

1) Unless you're hearing "water noises" in the pipes when the heat is on, I wouldn't worry about 1 or 2 baseboard that don't have bleed valves---you can usually get any air out by periodically bleeding the other baseboard.

2) Check the aquastat settings to make sure you have them right: the LOW LIMIT should be at least 20 degrees lower than the HIGH LIMIT READING: typical readings are 160 low limit and 180 high limit.

3) if the settings turn out ok, strap a meat thermometer to the main output pipe at the top of the boiler & check it when the boiler fires up--it should match the setting you have on the aquastat dials.

They also have a GLASS TUBE THERMOMETer for $10 at plumbing supply houses that you can screw into a 1/2" opening around the main boiler output pipe to monitor the water temp when the system is hot.

Not sure what an aquastat is but I have the one dial where the temp. of the water is and it also has (Kpa) on it and (psi) and (H2o) and the temp. The only other dial I believe is the thermastat dial because it is set at 180 degrees. Also where you say to screw in the glass tube thermastat into the 1/2 in. pipe, should there be a cap at the end of the pipe or something. How do I get to an opening in the pipe. And the strapping of a meat therm. should it read the 160 or 180. Thank you for your help.
    Anthony

Anthony:

Any photos you can post of the gauges & controls on the front of the boiler would be a great help.

Also the model # and make of the boiler---and approximately how old it is.

Strapping a meat thermometer onto the main supply hot water pipe should give you a reasonable idea of what is the water temperature---you can then compare it with what the gauge is reading.

Many boilers (especially american made) have a 6" X 4" gray metal box (aquastat) on the front of the boiler--inside there are 2 round adjustment wheels like the one at the site below to adjust water temp---do you have one on YOUR boiler??

http://www.partsguy.com/cgi-bin/Part...7124u1003.html
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 12-14-2008 at 10:38 AM.