+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Crowned Engineered wood flooring

We have a floating Engineered Wood Floor throughout our open concept house. The flooring in the hallway is crowned and the installers have recommended that it be glued down, leaving the rest of the floor floating. Would you recommend the same? What can possibly occur at the 'joint' where the glue meets the floating floor? Are there any other suggestions on how to fix the crowned section? Mercedes

Default Re: Crowned Engineered wood flooring

Why is it crowning in the hallway to begin with? My guess would be that there was not enough expansion joint left and the hall has swollen beyond the space, causing the crown. Pull the baseboards on each side of the hall, if the flooring is tight to the wall, then it needs to be cut back. Because it's a hallway and not subject to a lot of movement, I'd keep the expansion gap down to about 1/8" or so on each side.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The baseboards were pulled and there is plenty of space. We have two boxes of extra boards and found that in both boxes the boards are all crowned. We suspect the crowning happened because of the way the boxes were stored before they were brought into the house.

So each individual board is warped? That I can't help you with. Glue is not going to help that problem at all.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!