+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Coping moldings

Default Re: Coping moldings

wallow in your own filth, thread trashers and bashers.

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." - KJV, Matthew 7:6

(idiomatic) To give things of value to those who will not understand or appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." - KJV, Matthew 7:6

(idiomatic) To give things of value to those who will not understand or appreciate it.
    Looks like you're loosing control.

neither a power saw nor a power mitre saw is required to do trim work. the original poster asked about coping moulding. the original poster did not ask about production trim work and from your description of shoddy work you intentionally do for women who request high end trim packages you already indicated YOU just mitre the crown and LEAVE GAPS so what does that say about you?

BACK IN THE DAY
    grain matching was often done. Carved pieces, complicated details, folks cared about this especially when working with more exotic higher end grains. Trim carpentry was done by REAL CRAFTSMEN who cared about QUALITY. A properly done coped joint will appear nearly seemless and will appear closed even as the wood shrinks and expands and doesn't rely on GLUE, PUTTY, FILLER, PAINT to look good.

You OBVIOUSLY aren't familiar with HOW one copes WITHOUT pre-mitring or relying on POWER TOOLS. THREE of you claimed it didn't make sense or you couldn't figure out HOW it was done. I explained HOW it was done. pre-mitering is UNNECESSARY and in many REAL LIFE applications actually DETERS from an IDEAL coped joint. I explained how the OLD-TIMERS created those QUALITY coped joints. I learned how from a REAL craftsman who was renouned for not only quality and custom HIGH-END trim installations but designing and creating custom TRULY built-in-place cabinetry work. Ya'll doubted it could be done how I said it was done and as usual started your usual TRASH. your claims about how little you waste by pre-mitering only proves how disingenuous you are.
    Let's see, you claimed to be a housewife, not plumber , not an electrician, and yet you are an expert on everything ?
    I don't buy it.

that proves you can't come up with any thing on your own since that is what I told Jack regarding you , what maybe a two whole days ago

***, so much angst over coping molding!!!

For me, the fastest, easiest and best looking joint for base is mitering and then coping with a grinder. If you cut the piece about 1/8" to 3/16" too long you can flex it into place for a nice tight joint (1/8" for a shorter piece, 3/16" for the 16's).

People, people, people.....two words for you that make life much more serene......IGNORE FUNCTION The best invention since duct tape!!

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    ***, so much angst over coping molding!!!
    People, people, people.....two words for you that make life much more serene......ignore function :d the best invention since duct tape!!
    amen! :d:d:d

Again you revert to using your potty mouth, and what you put out certainly is not holy or pearls. Your inability to answer a direct questions demonstrates just how much a fabrication your posts tend to be. Or to paraphrase politely a colloquialism, You're talking out the wrong end.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

***... it I missed a good heated debate. Not much to add.

I cope all trim inside corners, unless on cabinets (then I miter). Coped joints are both more forgiving of out of square corners and are more likely to remain tight over time.

Here is a link to a video I made showing coping 6-1/2" maple crown with a grinder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EijqM...eature=related

It is a dust maker, best done outdoors and upwind, or if indoors, I use a box fan and filter to collect and divert the dust.

All the best,

Basswood

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/

Hi Kirk,

Grinder coping is another way to do it. I'm going to do a comparison of coping saw, coping foot and grinder method sometime soon. Should be fun.

I hope the Vikings can finish well... just wish they would stop calling Favre "old."

Cheers,

Bass

P.S. I'm trying to bury the Spam threads with some actual trim carpentry posts.

Kirk,

I use 36 grit sanding disks, back to back.

Cheers,

Bass

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/