Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13
  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Help identifying and 'disassembling' a window - 1940s

    Ok, finally: I figured out it's an Andersen window by taking a good close look at that brake plate! It's embossed right on there! (Pic 1).

    So, next up I have questions about improving the drafty seal on these things. They do appear to have channels already cut in the wood for either bead-seal of some kind, or a bent metal flashing/gasket. These are not great shots, but any ideas would be fantastic. See pics 2 & 3. These cut-outs are there on the top & bottom of the sashes (where they meet the top and bottom sashes) and also on the 'meeting rails'. I believe the stile seal up against the aluminum cover of the center bead - the pressure of the brakes pushes the sash up against the bead.

    These have long since lost any kind of pliable gasket (vinyl/foam) material and are so gummed/caked up with multiple layers of paint that they don't seat/seal well. Since they are so easy to remove, I'll be stripping (wet scraping) them. Maybe I'll just take one down to the hardware store and see what kind of bead gasket stock they have on hand! So glad I won't be trying to use a router to cut channels!

    Suggestions welcome! I am searching Andersen's site for any information on these.

    EDIT: I found, on Andersen's site, a PDF with a diagram of this window - it's their Pressure-Seal window. I guess that explains a lot! It is listed as a replacement window, available in 1946, so I wonder...well, no matter!

    http://www.andersenwindows.com/homeo...ssure_Seal.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0011 (Modified).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	3594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0012 (Modified).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	3595   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn0013 (Modified).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	3596  
    Last edited by s_ruffner; 06-11-2010 at 10:56 AM. Reason: more information found

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Help identifying and 'disassembling' a window - 1940s

    Sorry I didn't respond earlier - glad I was able to save your windows. My parents house that had those windows was built in '56 and they were new in the house (maybe Anderson had a different line for new construction - it was a solid masonry house) and had never been painted internally, just the original stain and were well maintained overall. From what I remember, they only had a metal gasket and were really tight - didn't even have sash locks on the windows above grade level!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    251

    Default Re: Help identifying and 'disassembling' a window - 1940s

    My windows from 1925 have a similar design. Interlocking metal strips at the parting bead and a metal seal on the sill along with metal guides along the tracks with a metal bead for further sealing. Then are very tight. I think better than the 2008 Silverline Vinyl replacement windows I installed on my last house. A few of my window leak only because they need to be reglazed.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •