+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drywall

Default Drywall

I have just purchesed a home that is 80 years old. I have found tons of wall paper on drywall. Was thinking of going over it with new drywall. As far as the ceiling I dont have much of a choice. The so called attic has blown-in insulation. If I dare tear down what is already there,(patched drywall from leaks, wallpaper painted over) I would certainley have a mess. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Deb

Default Re: Drywall

if hasn't already been renovated it probally isn't drywall but rather plaster. the patches may be drywall but the original might be plaster. this would make a difference in how you proceed.

I have been messing around in a bedroom and hallway. I do have drywall. I am now thinking I should probably take it off because of the fact that this house has some new wiring some not. Also I doubt there is any insulation between studding.
    I will have a problem with the ceiling though because of the blown in insulation.
    Basically will need to renovate all but the kithchen. It does have newer drywall/wiring.

Sounds like you've sort of decided to tear off the old wall surface. It's going to be a heck of a job if it's plaster and lathe. Quite a mess too. You'll really have a good finish when you're done though.

If it was me, I'd leave it and hang drywall over it. Half inch on the walls and depending on how smooth the ceilings are, quarter inch up there. Where it will get tricky is nailing/screwing the new stuff to the old. I've hung new drywall over an existing wall before and it worked OK.

I used some construction mastic (comes in a caulking tube) and laminating screws. These screws are a little like drywall screws but have a thicker body and really, really course threads that do a good job of threading into the sub-layer (drywall or plaster). With mastic squirted randomly on the back of the drywall, it'll bond everything together really nicely and you should be in good shape. Get someone to help you with the ceilings as you probably would anyway. If you're strong, you can do the walls by yourself.

The wall areas that you may want to consider are around windows and doors. You will be changing the thickness and there is window and door trim to consider. That may be a good reason to use quarter inch drywall if the walls are smooth enough.

Good Luck

If you don't want to pull the ceiling down, go up in the attic and drill down beside each joist at both ends so you have them properly located. Screw 4" furring strips perpendicular to the joists every 12" on center. Then attach new " ceiling drywall or 5/8" drywall to the furring strips. I prefer the 5/8". It would drop your ceiling an extra " but you'll get a much better job.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb