+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Remove & Reuse thin oak flooring?

Hi All: I have top-nailed thin oak flooring in the kitchen that I'd like to reuse in the future master bedroom addition. My contractor thinks it may be too thin to remove in usable condition. Anybody have any tricks, techniques or ideas for getting it out efficiently for re-use? Thanks.

Default Re: Remove & Reuse thin oak flooring?

How thin is thin? If it was 3/8" (5/16" after sanding) then it's firewood. If it was strip oak and started life as 3/4" or 7/8" material, and hasn't been sanded more than twice, it could theoretically be removed, de-nailed and relaid. It then must be sanded again and finished. You can never re-lay an old floor and not sand it; well, you could, but it will not have evenness at the seams. There must be enough wear left in the floor to take one last sanding.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks, S_M. It is 3/8", so I guess it'll stay in place and something new will go for the bedroom.

The thin stuff can be reused, but count on only being able to salvage about 75% at best. Unless your bedroom is considerably smaller than the kitchen, it won't be worth the effort to try to save for yourself. you could check with local restoration contractors and possibly the Habitat For Humanity resale shop to see if they can use the salvage.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If it's thin and NOT tongue & groove, then I stand corrected; you could remove and re-install (still have to sand it). If it is thin T&G, face nailed, it's leave it or burn it. IMO
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    If it is thin T&G, face nailed, it's leave it or burn it. IMO
    S_M
    I would agree.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It's not tongue and groove, so that's good. The kitchen is smaller than the future BR remodel but there's more potentially re-usable oak under the linoleum utility room flooring, too.

My contractor is good - he said it might be difficult to get the oak up, but not impossible. So the intent of my question is to see what tips, tricks or techniques you all may have come up with for efficient removal - I'm on a pretty tight budget and want to see what cool ideas may be out there to share with my contractor.

Thanks for the info and discussion so far - I like knowing about the Habitat for Humanity resale store and the estimate of 75% re-usable for the oak.

The best way is to use care and a flat bar (Wonderbar ). Once you get the first strip out, the rest should pull fairly easily. Once up, pull the nails through from the back with a pair of pliers.

Don't count on being able to reuse what's under the vinyl, the glues alone will make clean up near impossible.

Here I am, the newbie with wacky ideas: how about a light sanding in place to get rid of most of the glue, then flipping the boards over for re-installation?

The glue will immediately plug sandpaper and the back side will be blown out by the nails.