+ Reply to Thread

Default Deck separating from foundation; lags bent

I have a large back deck, pressure-treated probably 25 years old. I'm not the original owner of the house. Just noticed this yesterday, the lag bolts attaching the deck to the foundation seem to be bending on one end of the deck only. There are no footers or supports in place at the house-attachment side, only the bolts to the house. The footings and ground-to-deck support beams are all located at the end of the deck - farthest away from the house. We are very handy and under a tight budget - any advice on a do-it-yourself fix for this? Our plan was to dig as deep as possible (below frost line per code) close to foundation, pour concrete and install 8x8 supports (braced top and bottom)so when the deck does separate from the house, the new support system will be in place. Any new and different ideas? Thanks from PA. I haven't snapped a photo yet but can if anyone thinks it will help.

Default Re: Deck separating from foundation; lags bent

I think it would be easier & less costly to jack up the deck as required and then replace the lag bolts with carriage bolts through the band board. Bolts should be at least 16" o/c staggered.
    Any new footing adjacent a wall needs to go down to the same elevation as the existing wall footing so as not to transfer any loading to the existing wall.

with the deck being the age its at i really wouldnt spend alot of time and money trying to remedy it, a deck that age is pretty much ready to be replaced

the lags could be letting go do to the rimboard on the house itself starting to get punky. definitely shore up the sagging end then deal with teh attachement at the house
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Good point about the rim board being punky and that being the reason the lags pulled out.
    Probably the reason many jurisdictions don't allow lag bolts, but want through bolts.

only problem with carriage bolts is that you cant use em if the basement is finished, no way of accessing it inside to get the nut and washer on
    fire up the saw and make some dust