+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb trailer flooring for counter tops?

Over one year ago, while working thru multiple resources to develop a remodeling plan for my kitchen, I ran across an article (somewhere on the web) showcasing a designer kitchen remodel that had used trailer flooring (new: purchased at a nearby trailer supplier) to create a island top rather than granite.
    I had chosen granite as a countertop solution, but alas the granite contractor took my money and left town and now I am on a crazy low budget....suddenly the idea of hardwood island top for my 200 year old house is sounding 'pretty' special!
    Does anyone have any idea where I can find that (or similar) article?
    Does anyone know what I might want to take into consideration when embarking on this project? Is oak ok for an island countertop? Is 2" deep enough? I will more than likely be using a polycrylic coating as I do not intend to use it as a chopping block, but your thoughts on finish are also most welcome! I am open to other species, reclaimed lumber, etc., anything affordable that will add visual interest. Would I need to use tongue and groove or just good glue and clamps? It will have an undermount bar sink and single hole faucet.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Default Re: trailer flooring for counter tops?

I'm not familiar with trailer flooring but regarding wood for a countertop, I'd vote NO. If you want a maintenance project for life, install a wood top. No matter what finish you put on it, you'll still nick it, cut it, dent it, etc. After a couple of years of that, it'll look pretty rough. Depending on the finsh, it could also absorb juices and such, making it a Petri dish for germs, right where you prepare food.

As a possible alternative and one that will take less maintenance, look better longer, and possibly dress up the area, why not use a tile countertop. It's something that you could do yourself and depending on the tile, shouldn't break the bank. You could figure on many years of service from the tile.

Alternatively, you could also upgrade in a couple years to granite or something like it and not be concerned by the amount of money you'd spent in the past.

Good Luck.