+ Reply to Thread

Default wall receptacles

after checking some of the house receptacles with the plug in tester that lights up showing if it's ok or whats wrong. a couple of them showed up as.
    open ground, and another as open hot, open nuetral. what is the proper way for the wires to be hooked to rectify the problem. i haven't taken the wall plate off to look at them as yet.
    thanks for your assistance

Default Re: wall receptacles

Hot wire on brass screw, white wire on siver screw, and ground on green screw.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Hot wire on brass screw, white wire on siver screw, and ground on green screw.
    Jack
    Tests done with an outlet tester, obviously, are done with the power on, however, when it comes time to do the work, turn off the breaker feeding the outlet(s) in question, then test the outlet again with a volt meter to make sure it has been de-energized.

Building on what Jack said, the key words "on screw", and make sure the wire is wrapped so that it tightens around the screw as the screw is tightened. Back stabbed outlets - those where the wire is just poked into a hole, can have/create loose connections. Also check that the wire nuts are tight and each wire within the nut is held firmly in the bundle by holding the cap and tugging each wire individually. The issue you're searching for may not necessarily originate at the outlet where you're getting the weird reading, it could be where it branches from the outlet upstream. Check each outlet on the circuit if correcting those in question doesn't cure the problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

thank you A.Spruce and JLMCDANIEL for your replies. i never even thought about problem could be at a connection box, if the receptacles are wired rite.

You're welcome. Please report back with your findings.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!