+ Reply to Thread

Default clay sewer pipe woes

I suspect we have had a faulty or incomplete repair to our clay sewer pipe. Our house was built in 1894 and, long story, but we had a section of cracked clay sewer pipe replaced by a local plumber several months ago, he replaced it with pvc and used an epoxy to join it to the rest of the system. When the repair was completed, there was still water in the soil surrounding the pipe, he assured us it was just ground water an not to be concerned. we excaveted as much of the smelly soil as we could and filled in over top with lime pebbles and sand. The repair was under a bank of cabinets so we installed a thick layer of plastic under the cabinet floor as a vapor barrier for any lingering odors. the odor was better for a while but I never felt right about the ground water answer. I became suspicious we still had a problem when I noticed that if I poured a cleaning product in the 2nd story bathroom down the shower drain or toilet, I could smell it distinctly in the basement. I now notice a strong sewer smell on days we do not use the systems for showers and laundry.
    How do I go about determining the problem? Our house was built in 1894, we have a concrete basement floor. Should I have someone run a camera throught the sewer line?
    Can I do damage to the house or foundation by continuing to use the systems?
    Can you help us find a reputable professional in Saginaw Michigan?
    any advice is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: clay sewer pipe woes

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to have a camera run thru the system---if there is any standing water in the pipe, this would indicate that the pipe was improperly placed & would have to be relined to eliminate the odor.

Is the pipe connected to a city sewer or to a septic system??

If you know no one in Saginaw, perhaps consulting the Yellow Pages may be your only option.

I would avoid the giant display ads that claim to be there is a few hours---select someone who probably can't come over right away, but has been in business for years & will give you better service.