+ Reply to Thread

Default Water heater recirculates?

Hi to all,
    New here, but thought you'd be the best place to ask this question.

Just had a new water heater (40 gal/gas) installed yesterday. To my amazement, no hot water this AM. The install guys came back and stated the following:

The problem was due to a main floor faucet repair made earlier this week by a different plumber. He (faucet plumber) replaced several washers and said it works OK. FYI and in case it matters....water heater is in the basement.

The water heater install guys (different plumbers arranged by the purchasing point) state the "worked on faucet" is internally corroded and caused the hot water to "recirculate" and, thus, delivered only tepid water to any other faucet in the house. Sound really strange to me. I thought there was only a 1 way flow in clean water e.g. from the delivery pipe to the faucet without any mixing of lines.

1) Is this possible? Right now, the faucet is disconnected and I appear to have hot water.
    2) If this really is the case, why did the old hot water heater provide more hot water than the new one initially provided?
    3) Is there something they're not saying?

Any help is appreciated...not a dummy here, just not a plumber.
    Last edited by res19k3p; 12-09-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Default Re: Water heater recirculates?

it seems you are describing cross-over. suspect the problem causing faucet that water supply to it has been shut off is a single handled one. stuff can get stirred up in the plumbing when water shut off and a new water heater is installed.

Hi again and thanks for the thought...
    Understand your comment re: single handle faucet and stuff can get stirrred up. However, it is a double handle faucet and I'm still puzzled by this all. Coincidence???

res19k3p

crossover is crossover. you can ask your plumber to track it down if you can't figure out where its happening and why. recirculators, tempering valves, all sorts of places where things can go wrong.

A faulty cartridge in a faucet can cause a direct cross between hot and cold. Not likely on a two handle faucet. Try turning off both valves to this faucet and see if your problem still exists. Except this problem seems to be happening since new heater put in. I would check to see if the hot water heater was connected backwards. Just trace your incoming cold line to your heater. Hope this helps