+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toilet leak

Default Re: Toilet leak

Its a simple test to narrow down the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    to narrow down and focus the area needing attention I suggest the following simple test:

take the top off of the back of the tank (the same lid you lifted to add food coloring).
    visualize the water level.
    turn off the water supply valve from the floor or wall.
    mark the water level in the tank with a pencil.
    return a few hours later since you said this happened after several hours, and check the water level in the tank.
    if the water level is NOT LOWER when you had the water to the tank shut off, then the problem is not the flapper thingy
    With all the rust and sediment you describe in the tank it wouldn't be that uncommon for sand, sediment, etc. to be preventing the fill valve from closing completely. Float arm might need an adjustment, or even the float itself may have some water in it - flush toilet, unscrew float ball, drain it, screw back on; may not even cost you a thing.

There is a good site on the web called toiletology or something similar. If you can find it on a web search check it out. you can read through a lesson plan or jump ahead and review the index and link to pages. Pay special attention to the sections mentioning the "mystery flush". I've simply advised you to the step two of trouble shooting that fits your description of the "symptoms of problem" that follows your findings after the step one diagnosis of the food coloring in the tank test, colored water in the bowl test.

Its a simple test to narrow down the cause.
    Considering that Mezsop described an intermittent run, this would seem to be an unnecessary test. A stuck fill valve, sunk float, or cracked stand pipe would cause a constant run problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

That's just not true. It can run/open enough to noisily fill for a few seconds intermittantly then return to a more fully closed or closed position when there are minor fluctuations in the water pressure on the cold water line. An older (Kohler) Wellworth - old style ball cock we don't know if side mount flush lever, or not do we? OP has already identified some brass parts in the tank and mentions possible vintage of 1975. Why replace with $20 of unnecessary cheap plastic parts if some cleaning off of sediment, or an adjustment, or three screws and a spring is all that is needed to maintain a quality $150+ brass ball cock assembly that will last another 100 years if thats what she has?

WHAT IS THE RESISTANCE TO CHECK TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY WATER LOSS FROM THE TANK WHEN THE WATER IS SHUT OFF?

And why start a huge argument because there are other possibilites that are equally easy to address? the SIMPLE TEST COSTS NOTHING. If there is no loss of water from the tank evidenced by no drop to the water level to the pencil line and no food coloring passes to the bowl when the water is turned off, IT ISN'T the flapper or the seat.

WHY CARRY ON ABOUT THIS and CONTINUE TO NAME-CALL on YET ANOTHER THREAD?

IT IS A SIMPLE TEST. REQUIRING NO SKILL OR TOOLS, AND IS HARMLESS. IT COSTS NOTHING, except apparently your ego A. Spruce.

IT IS A SIMPLE TEST. REQUIRING NO SKILL OR TOOLS, AND IS HARMLESS. IT COSTS NOTHING, except apparently your ego A. Spruce.
    This is no place for personal attacks, it would be appreciated if you'd take them elsewhere.

The question isn't about testing, it's about not making assumptions and scaring the living daylights out of the original poster. Mezsop described a specific problem. The easiest and most specific culprit has been suggested by myself and several others. Please stop making more out of the situation than is warranted.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    described by chicken little,.
    You are the one that made PERSONAL ATTACKS and Assumptions.
    Two posters have suggested other solutions short of replacing flapper. I have simply pointed out that is NOT NECESSARILY the problem, and before purchasing non-returnable parts it should be narrowed down.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-15-2008 at 01:27 AM.

Give it a break, Blue. The horse is long since dead.

Probably 99% of the time the problem described is caused by and solved by replacing the flapper. Flappers are not that expensive and don't require a plumber to replace them.

Going through the test of shutting off the water to the tank on an old toilet with a shut off that may not have been used for years could create a lot of other problems including plugging of the fill valve, blockage in the fill line, or the shut off it' self leaking.

To me the logical thing to do is to replace the cheap flapper which causes this problem 99% of the time. Then if it doesn't take care of the problem start looking for the other exotic causes.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Holy mackeral, IT'S ONLY A TOILET ,like Jack and Spruce said it's simple.
    Chances are the flapper is worn or almost gone and for the price it won't hurt to change it out anyway. Other than that check that the water level isn't to high. It should about an inch below the overflow tube. If it's to high it will overflow and cause the symptom you're seeing, adjust he float mechanisim if's to high.
    Less than 100 words and didn't quote myself.
    Last edited by bsum1; 12-15-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Hi guys.

This has been a most entertaining thread. I probably know more than I will ever need to know about toilets. Thanks to everyone for the help with my pluggie thingie. And the answer is......

I decided to go the easy route first. I flushed toilet, reached down and felt the area around the "Pluggie thingie" and discovered some crud so I took an old kitchen sponge and wiped until it felt smooth. While I was there I decided to clean the tank which turned the water a deep shade of rust brown. That would be my test to see if the toilet still leaked. Voila...no dirty water in the bowl after a couple of hours. And I haven't heard it filling yet. So I think it's solved. In the process I learned about flappers and also that I didn't have a flapper but a flush ball

Yea to all of you who took the time to answer and argue my case.
    Stay warm and flushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mezsop View Post
    Hi guys.

This has been a most entertaining thread. I probably know more than I will ever need to know about toilets. Thanks to everyone for the help with my pluggie thingie. And the answer is......

I decided to go the easy route first. I flushed toilet, reached down and felt the area around the "Pluggie thingie" and discovered some crud so I took an old kitchen sponge and wiped until it felt smooth. While I was there I decided to clean the tank which turned the water a deep shade of rust brown. That would be my test to see if the toilet still leaked. Voila...no dirty water in the bowl after a couple of hours. And I haven't heard it filling yet. So I think it's solved. In the process I learned about flappers and also that I didn't have a flapper but a flush ball

Yea to all of you who took the time to answer and argue my case.
    Stay warm and flushed.
    Mezsop,

Great news and most gratifying to learn that you were able to solve your problem without having to purchase unnecessary parts! Your flush ball is also known as a tank ball (which seats at the base of the tank) not to be confused with the ball float or float ball.

Thank you for returning to the thread with an update, and happy flushing.