+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Running wires/outlets in baseboards

I don't have a picture but Wiremold is a paintable product. So in theory, you could get the product to match the baseboard, color wise, that is...

Thats the way you blend it. Run it just above the baseboard and use corners for vertical runs. Running it on the wall next to the ceiling is also another good way to blend it. Running Wiremold is a lot easier then tearing off baseboard and trying to run code wiring behind it or ripping through walls.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    Thats the way you blend it. Run it just above the baseboard and use corners for vertical runs. Running it on the wall next to the ceiling is also another good way to blend it. Running Wiremold is a lot easier then tearing off baseboard and trying to run code wiring behind it or ripping through walls.
    You have got that right......It will all blend in rather nicely, in my opinion. Plus the addition of furniture and say a HI-Def flat screen and surround sound system and a beer cooler. Boy, don't get me started....

I would suggest you start here http://tools.wiremold.com/diy/ to get info about wiremold. It comes in different finishes including paintable. It also comes in different widths. I have seen the wider installed as baseboard.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for all of the help.

I believe I am going to try to pull off the baseboards still, even though the Wiremold products make the job easier. I am installing some wainscotting in the room, so I was going to have to pull off the baseboards anyway.

Last question: The one outlet in the room in on the wall. If I open that up and run new wire from that outlet down the wall to the baseboard (chipping out a path in the plaster) and then run the wire behind the new baseboard, what do I need to do to be safe besides cover the outlet box with a cover? How do I apply the wainscotting over the chipped-out path in plaster -- meaning, do I need to protect the wire first?

Thumbs up Re: Running wires/outlets in baseboards

Wiremold product review:

This past weekend I installed 6 ceiling fans in the sanctuary of my church. 20 ft. high ceilings. Ceilings are made of basicaly 16 ft. 4X4 pine supported by large, beefy arches, and have roofing matterial directly on the outside surface. (Not energy efficient at all, but that's what they did back in the day here in the US Southwest). Original lighting was installed by routing out channels for 1/2" conduit on the outside of the building and cutting out space for 4X4 boxes.

Not willing to remove all the roofing, or hire an engineer to tell me if routing out more channels would effect the integrity of the roof, I opted to use Wiremold on the inside of the ceiling, bringing power in through a cinderblock wall. I used the metalic 500 series product, as that was readily available.

I painted all channels, junction boxes, connectors, etc. a color that fairly matched the wood ceiling material. I used their large box, generally used for mounting lighting, to mount the fans. Wasn't thrilled with the small screws they use to connect the box cover to the base, but noticed some holes lined up that allowed me to sink some 3" screws through the whole box to secure it tightly to the ceiling. Actually ran the screws through the fan base, box cover and box base. It's not going anywhere. Safety was my biggest concern here.

In the end, the Wiremold product almost disappears against the ceiling. It was very easy to work with. My only complaint is the cost as compaired to EMT. A lot cheaper than re-roofing the building though. Now I just need to paint the ugly junction boxes I used where the power comes in through the wall. I'll go take some pictures and post them later.

Regards,
    John

Photos of the ceiling fan install using Wiremold.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6150019.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	3604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P6150022.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	3605