+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Running wires/outlets in baseboards

I have an old 1941 Cape Cod that has plaster walls applied directly to brick. I have a few rooms with only one (1) outlet. I was hoping to run some new outlets in the baseboards and need some help.

Can I run wire from the present outlet behind a "built up" baseboard and install outlets in the baseboard around the room?

Default Re: Running wires/outlets in baseboards

That method sounds like your only option.
    And needless to say carefully removing the baseboard and reapplying said baseboard adds to the fun. But it will be well worth all the trouble.
    You just might consider install new baseboard as well. Old mouldings can be a bear to remove, [huge finish nails], aged wood, etc. You can also throw into the mix the present baseboard paint or stain contains lead.
    Funny how TOH & ATOH steer clear of lead issues.
    I digress. Just remember to drill dead center in the studs for your Romex pull, and plate over the studs to prevent an accidental stray finish nail from ruining your work.
    Good luck....

Wiremold makes a specially-designed box to link it's conduit system into an existing recessed box. You can only run as many additional outlets as the branch circuit will bear.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks! But could you explain this more:

Romex pull, and plate over the studs?

I'm not familiar with Wiremold. Can someone explain? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman09 View Post
    Thanks! But could you explain this more:

Romex pull, and plate over the studs?
    Sure, the outlets you are going to add need Romex to supply your power needs, correct?
    Plus you will have to apply a plate, or maybe a better term, a shield, to protect said Romex from actually getting a finish nail shot into it.
    And Somby is certainly onto something posting about Wiremold products. Well worth a look...

Quote Originally Posted by Teacherman09 View Post
    I'm not familiar with Wiremold. Can someone explain? Thanks!
    Wiremold makes products for running wire on the surface of your wall. They have plastic and metal products, and many elbows, elect boxes, etc. to choose from. Pricey, but you don't have to tear up your wall to run new outlets.

http://tools.wiremold.com/diy/

Wire mold makes surface raceways that are attached to the surface rather than installed within a wall and do not require additional protection. If you are running Romex (multi-conductor thermoplastic insulated wire or cable) you must protect it by installing it where it is not subject to physical damage. Either in a wall or attic or basically where it can not be seen for the most part. If you turn the baseboard into a chase I don't see a problem as long as the Romex is more than 1.25" from the surface as code requires, or protected by a metal plate as required. In other words keep the wire far enough away from the surface of the new baseboard that it cannot be damaged by someone driving a 1.25" long nail into it. If you run wires in emt conduit in the chase, the 1.25" rule does not apply either.
    "Lead by Example"

Wiremold is the only way to go. The labor of tearing off baseboards, wiring to code and reapplying baseboards is a lot of labor - more then you realize. Wiremold if properly done will blend into its background and become virtually invisible. The
    The V500 wiremold is available at any big box home improvement store along with all the boxes, 90s and other fittings that you will need. It is expensive - about $1 per foot for the wiremold itself and about $5 per box or other device and you have to purchase enough THHN wiring to get the job done.

You can buy cut wire but it is much more expensive then buying a spool of #12 at 500 feet per spool. You will use a lot more wire then you think and it is easier to work off of a spool of wire when pulling wire through the wiremold. You can make yourself your own wire pulling device with some 2x 4s, plywood and a piece of pipe. Put a handle on it to carry it from room to room and make it big enough for three spools of wire. My five story 20 unit apartment building built in 1913 is mostly plaster on brick and I've installed thousands of feet of wiremold. The key to safe wiremold installation is careful reaming of the cut pieces to avoid abrading the wire and another person to help pull the wire - one to feed and one to pull.

Thanks!

Does anyone have any pictures of a "well-blended" use of wiremold? I imagine it could blend well along a baseboard or with a wainscotting?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptTCB View Post
    Wiremold is the only way to go. The labor of tearing off baseboards, wiring to code and reapplying baseboards is a lot of labor - more then you realize. Wiremold if properly done will blend into its background and become virtually invisible. The
    The V500 wiremold is available at any big box home improvement store along with all the boxes, 90s and other fittings that you will need. It is expensive - about $1 per foot for the wiremold itself and about $5 per box or other device and you have to purchase enough THHN wiring to get the job done.

You can buy cut wire but it is much more expensive then buying a spool of #12 at 500 feet per spool. You will use a lot more wire then you think and it is easier to work off of a spool of wire when pulling wire through the wiremold. You can make yourself your own wire pulling device with some 2x 4s, plywood and a piece of pipe. Put a handle on it to carry it from room to room and make it big enough for three spools of wire. My five story 20 unit apartment building built in 1913 is mostly plaster on brick and I've installed thousands of feet of wiremold. The key to safe wiremold installation is careful reaming of the cut pieces to avoid abrading the wire and another person to help pull the wire - one to feed and one to pull.