+ Reply to Thread

Default Powder Post Beetle Active in 1 Floor Board

We have a confirmed diagnosis of Powder Post Beetle. There is evidence of active infestation in 1 floor board in the master bedroom on the 2nd floor. The board involved is 1 1/2" wide x 24" long and is close to the center of the room.

I'm asking for advice on how to best address this issue. So far the options have been:
    1) Remove the one board and replace it.
    2) Sand the board down, have the pest control service apply a chemical to kill the beetles/larva, then stain and polyurethane.
    3) Sand the entire floor, possibly have chemical applied, polyurethane with an oil base product.

We are in Missouri and don't know how this infestation occured. We currently do not see any other active powder post beetle areas in the house.

Any advice on how to address this issue is appreciated.

Default Re: Powder Post Beetle Active in 1 Floor Board

I'd go with #1, then refinish. If you remove the one board, you will be able to 100% rule out the infestation of the adjoining wood, through visual inspection; connecting tunnels. Treat the adjoining wood for bugs anyway as a precaution. I have seen a lot of buildings almost destroyed by powder posties.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Sombreuil Thanks for the response. I found this link with instructions on how to remove a single board. Do I need to worry about the bugs and larva moving and escaping when doing this process? Should I inject poison into the holes prior to drilling, chiseling, banging the board out?

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...631521,00.html

Hi,
    I'd say it depends on if thy are closer to adult than larva. Have a can of raid handy just in case. The larva move slowly, and are dead outside of their tunnels anyway.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.