+ Reply to Thread

Default Lifetime guaranteed "coatings" (as opposed to exterior paints)

I'm hearing more and more advertisments for these house "paints" (for lack of a better word) that supposedly have a 25-year (Rhino Shield) or even a lifetime (SmartColor) guarantee against peeling, flaking, bubling, fading, cracking, etc.

Does anyone have any experiences they can share regarding these products and/or the companies that are applying them?

Thanks so much,

ET

Default Re: Lifetime guaranteed "coatings" (as opposed to exterior paints)

Erictomlin,

This topic has come up here several times. I can give you a few thoughts from the perspective of a lifelong painting contractor:

You reference RhinoShield. I have no direct experience with this company, but only from that which they state on their website.

Nowhere did I find the terms of their "25 year warranty".
    What are they going to do, re-coat the entire house including materials and labor? Is the warranty only for you or also for subsequent owners? Manufacturers are well aware that, historically,Americans have moved every several years!
    Most paint manufacturers give "lifetime" warranties, but only cover the cost of the materials, a small percentage of the total cost of painting.

Their description of their painting/coating process is essentially that of most thorough paint jobs. It includes removing all loose paint and a complete prime coat after a thorough power washing.

They compare their "ceramic microsphere" particles to CaCo3 (they omit naming that as calcium carbonate). Calcium carbonate is literally chalk and is only found in the cheapest of paints. Today's premium paints use titanium dioxide as the primary white pigment. It is what replaced lead, as the white pigment in paint, 30 years ago when lead was banned.

They proudly name BASF as their matrials supplier. BASF and Rohm and Hass are the overwhelming suppliers of chemicals to the entire paint industry, especially of acrylic resins, the basis of most modern day interior and exterior paints.

They claim that their product repells rain while allowing vapor
    from the interior to pass on through without causing peeling. This is also true of any good acrylic paint.

Today's modern acrylic paints when properly applied should give years of wear. They avoid the pitfalls of oil paint. Acylics breathe, do not oxidize and fade, and retain a flexible coating.

RhinoShield claims that the average paint job on a 2 story house approaches $8000. This is probably true. I feel they are setting you up for the out of sight estimate to come!

Ordjen,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I actually had a salesman from Lifetyme Exteriors out to my house to give me an estimate to paint my house. The price started at 17K, but by the time he left it was down to under 13K. That's probably twice what I would expect to pay to have my house painted the "traditional" way.

According to the salesman, and the website (www.lifetymene.com), the warranty covers both materials and labor for as long as I live in my home. If I sell the home, the warranty transfers, but lasts only 20 years from the date of painting.

Lifetyme uses a coating that does not contain the ceramic microspheres, and is made by Sherman Williams. Could this be the Duration product offered by SW? (the salesman did not mention the name of the product, just that it was made by SW).

Do you have any experience with (or opinions of) this particular company and their product?

The house I am in was painted a year or two before I moved in, and that was about 5 years ago. So it's been about seven years. But honestly, the house needed to be painted two summers ago. I have a friend who has needed to have his house repainted every 5 or 6 years. The allure of a "Lifetime guarantee" is very strong, especially if I can get it in writing that the labor is included as well, but I want to make sure I do my homework and not make an impulse buy.

Thanks again for your time and insight.

ET

Erictomlin,

I am not familiar with "Lifetime" either. Their website states that you will end up a 10 mil coating on your house. A full prime coat and primer of "regular" paint would approach this thickness.

To me, it sounds like they are merely giving a thorough preparation followed by a premium acrylic coating. All acrylics
    exhibit good breathe-ability. All acrylics are much more flexible than oil paint, and remain so as they age. All acrylics are much more color fast and do not exhibit surface oxidation as does oil paint.

All major paint manufacturers produce multiple quality lines of paint: everything from that infamous contractors crap, which is used on much new housing, to very fine paints. If getting a bid from a painting contractor, don't just ask for the paint manufacturer, but also the exact line of paint. Call the local dealer of that brand and ask if that is the top of the line.

Ask that the contact state exactly what will be done. Best would be a full prime coat with a finish coat. Better still would be spot priming of all bare wood before the general primeing and finish coat. Mere spot priming and a finish coat does not normally constitute a topnotch paint job.

Ultimately, the durabilty of a paint job depends on what it is going over. If an older house has layers of oil paint which have peeled in the past, the new paint is no more stuck to the siding than the layer of paint upon which is sitting! Indeed, an expanding and contracting acrylic coating may actually cause drastic paint failure if the ridgid, brittle oil paint underneath is not firmly bonded. Many paint experts recommend staying with oil when going over multiple layers of oil paint.

You state that your house was painted shortly before you bought it. Not infrequently, a less than premium paint job is thrown on a house to make it look good for the sale.

A premium paint job on a house that has not had a history of paint failure should last many years - 10 would not be uncommon. I painted my house 5 years ago after moving in. It was over the builders paint. It still looks like new!

Lifetime used paint jobs at a 5 year interval to justify the cost comparison to their product. A premium paint job should last much longer than 5 years!

Just curious, how many square feet does your house have and how many stories? Gables? Windows? Such variables affect the cost.

I suggest you get at least three bids from reputable painting contractors before committing to the Lifetime contract.