+ Reply to Thread

Default Have to hold button to close door

Hi all, my first post here....been poking around, looks like alot of good information here...been having a problem with my garage door.
    i recently purchased a house, and have a problem with my garage door opener. it goes up without a problem, but going down, you have to hold the button on the wall ,(i have no remotes). i noticed the other day that the bottom wires on the "red" sensor were broken off., i reconnected them, using the other door as a guide, .and still have the same problem. the red light does not light up. how do i tell if i have a bad sensor?
    i am not sure of the exact model, but it says intellicode, and i believe my garage is less than 10 years old.
    thanks.

Default Re: Have to hold button to close door

As soon as you said that you had to hold down the button, I knew you had a sensor issue. If you reconnected it correctly then it must be the sensor.

You could hook up a volt meter to the wires and check that power is getting to the sensor.

My one thought is this: If the wires were pulled from the sensor, that suggests that something pulled out the wire (i.e. - someone tripping). this could have twisted the sensor so that it's not lining up with the receiving sensor. If the two sensors don't "see" each other, then they won't make a circuit, and your door won't close.

Try moving the sensor around and see if that solves the problem.
    2009 kitchen remodel warrior

asbolute black granite
    Antique White Hidden Content
    Travertine 18" x 18" floor tiles.
    It looks Great!!

Default Re: Have to hold button to close door

Thanks Jim. The led on the red one does not light up at all, but the green one does when I reconnect the wires. I think I will take the red sensor from the other and hook it up as a test. I haven't had much time to work on it, I just moved in here and there's always something to occupy my time.

Smile Re: Have to hold button to close door

Quote Originally Posted by frankjc View Post
    Thanks Jim. The led on the red one does not light up at all, but the green one does when I reconnect the wires. I think I will take the red sensor from the other and hook it up as a test. I haven't had much time to work on it, I just moved in here and there's always something to occupy my time.
    Also check your wiring at the door opener. frankdee