+ Reply to Thread

Question Do I Need this Gizmo for my AC Unit?

My new AC service company is trying to sell me a gizmo that they say will prolong the life of the compressor by helping it start up? I don't know the specific name of it. My AC unit is 6 years old, I don't consider it to be "old" as they evidently do. Does anyone know if this is just a gimmick or is it really worthwhile? Thanks!

Default Re: Do I Need this Gizmo for my AC Unit?

Hard Start Kits are usually installed when a compressor gets old and has a hard time firing up or just plain can't. I've never heard of putting one in if it's working OK. Maybe the tech works on commision?

With all the different models of "Gizmos" in the world, I would call them and get the exact name. I usually install hard start kits when replacing compressors as a little insurance they won't have problems. If your compressor has trouble starting and there is no external problem causing it, definitely get one.
    "Lead by Example"

If it's a larger A/C unit with a TXV, then the hard start kit is a good idea. But find out the name of the "gizmo" first. Maybe it's a new gizmo we all haven't heard about.