+ Reply to Thread

Default creaky wooden floor

Dear all--I looked through the threads and couldn't find an answer to my question. We have an old french farmhouse (300 years old) which has a traditional french ceiling and wooden floor on the first (upper) level--massive wooden beams, then a wood ceiling, and on top of that the floor boards of the upper level. The whole thing creaks like crazy,and there appears to be no sound isolation (if you use the bathroom on the upper level, the whole kitchen listens along ;-)).

So I assume there is no sound isolation in between the wooden ceiling and the wooden floor. But the wooden floor is made from hardwood chestnut, very nice, and I'm not sure how we can remove the wooden floor, lay down isolation, and put the chestnut back...It would be a pity to lose that beautiful wood (I don't know if it is glued down or nailed down). Any ideas of how we can quieten the floors?

Default Re: creaky wooden floor

The majority of the creaking noises are from the the wood rubbing along the fasteners as the wood dries and shinks. Also, when one layer of wood flooring is laid overtop a second they will move differently . To prevent noises between the different layers of wood rosin, or felt paper is used as an isolation layer.

If these are the original or at least very old floors, it's not likely the planks are glued. Chances are they are simply face nailed or possibly blind nailed if they are tongue and groove.
    Pulling up the flooring can be a risky venture if they are very old. The planks will be dry and fragile with a good chance of splitting. It might worth getting an experience wood flooring contractor in to drill countersink holes and fasten down the flooring with screws. The holes would then be plugged which adds to the character of old floors.

As far as the bathroom noises , well , 300 years when the house was being built I'm sure there wasn't any consideration for bathroom noises.

Default Re: creaky wooden floor

couldnt have put it any better, a few times ive been asked to try and salvage hardwood floors when we have had to take them up which meant being very ginger with it, if i was lucky i might be able to re-use 75% of it. come time for the floor to go back down, our flooring guys would tell us "no dice" as they would not warrenty the floor as to theres no telling how well it will go back toghether as the old wood is more than likely twisted and no longer straight
    fire up the saw and make some dust