+ Reply to Thread

Default Help identify my homes architectural style...Texas Stone Vernacular?

We just purchased a rock home in Clyde Texas built between 1890 and 1900, (uncertain of exact year) and do not know the architectural style of the house. Can anyone out there help us with some information regarding this style and what it might have looked like originally inside? Would be so grateful for any help identifying it! This rock can be found abundantly in our area. Forgive the photos, this house is surrounded by trees and brush and has not been cleaned up yet, nor has the former owners junk been hauled off. (When I say just bought, I am referring to yesterday!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2085.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	3547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2086.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	3548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2083.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	3549  

Default Re: Help identify my homes architectural style...Texas Stone Vernacular?

I would think the stone veneer was applied quite a bit later. It's what we called "WPA"-style stone veneer. It was used on many depression-era work projects from TX, Ark, Tenn in the 30's. The pointing on your house is a perfect and beautiful example of true "Tuck pointing" meaning the creation of raised beveled "g****vine" mortar joints to emphasize the patchwork rock effect.
    If the house itself were a little less overgrown there may be more stylistic cues to pick up on, but this is the best I can do right now.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thumbs up Re: Help identify my homes architectural style...Texas Stone Vernacular?

Thank you so much for your information. It gives me a place to start researching. We will be clearing up the lot this weekend and I will be posting more photos in the hope that you or perhaps someone else can tell me more with a better look at the house. Is there anything specifically I should look for? Thank you again!

Default Re: Help identify my homes architectural style...Texas Stone Vernacular?

To get the most information the pictures should include besides the basic front and side, any detailing that seems original/old, like millwork (doors, windows, moldings, staircase) and hardware.
    S_M
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Will take pictures of those particular items and post tomorrow! Thanks again for your help!