+ Reply to Thread

Default crawlspace A/ C and Furnace

My 1952 prefab has central air from the late 70's that is on its last legs. I have gotten a few estimates. When they see my crawlsapce , they get hostile and tell me first I need to pay to have the opening in my foundation increased and they will only consider working for me if I am buying a/c and a new furnace. (my furnace is working fine) I am afraid of making a larger opening in my house. Why do I have to change both? Isn't there any manufacturer out there that is still making small enough units to fit in a crawlspace? Is everything bigger now than my Rheem from the late 70s? Estimates are running from 8K to 10K.

I live in an area with a lot of similar (government built) houses. most are going to window units, some one is missing a markting oportunity here.

Default Re: crawlspace A/ C and Furnace

If the opening is big enough there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to install a new Unit, if not the opening may have to be made bigger. On the other hand there have been times when we have had to disassemble the Air Handler in order to get it where it had to go.

Thank you! That is what I asked , can you not take it apart and reassemble it under the house? I am begining to think there is no one in the midwest that wants to do anything that is off the standard.

Would cutting a bigger crawlspace opening be dangerous for my house?

Also why couldnt they put it up inside my house somewhere? My sister has a crawlspace and her furnace a/c is in a closet in her kitchen.

I don't know where the hole is located and am not a structural engineer so I can't tell you it's OK to open up the hole. As long as there is enough room in the closet that you want to put it in and is big enough by code I don't see why you can't have it installed there. Just for the record it's a pain in the _ _ _ to take one of those things apart and put it back together, and do they have enough room in the crawl space to do that?
    Last edited by Sten; 05-25-2010 at 09:45 PM.

How large would the hole have to be?

Before you rip up you house may I suggest you look into a split A/C unit.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The hole would have to be big enough to get the Air handler in, say an inch over all the way around. I believe Jack is talking about a Ductless Split which is another option and a good one.

I just saw those in an internet search, Are they new? why are the cooling pros I am talking to in KC not telling me about the split systems? I have seen that they only seem to have four zones and I have three bedrooms and 3 living areas to cool , one of which is a greatroom that is 25 by 30. The house is built almost like a "z" bedrooms on the top line, kitchen living room on the middle and great room as the bottom line.