+ Reply to Thread

Default need advice - purpose of these slits in the concrete floor

I am renovating basement in the recently purchased house and plan to put FLOR brand carpet tiles onto the existing concrete floor. Interestingly, there are long narrow cuts in the concrete along 2 walls. They are up to 2 inches deep.
    http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/bp...tml?sort=3&o=0

I am wondering what's their purpose. The basement seems to be reasonably dry. Would it be safe to cover them with carpet tiles?
    Also, a separate question. There are sizable gaps between the baseboards and the floor (visible on the photo). At places they are greater than the tile thickness. I would think to caulk and paint the gaps . Does it make sense? As I understand, they are not there on purpose.
    Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: need advice - purpose of these slits in the concrete floor

Previous owners had a french drain installed.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thank you, Jack.

The previous owner was only able to recall that "the cuts were done to help with moisture soon after in the floor was installed".
    They don't look very professionally made. I hope there had been properly prepared drain channels under the concrete.

I guess I will step away from the cuts and will not be covering them with carpet tiles. I will still install the tiles in the room and will cover the cuts with some cover grate.

Is it a reasonable thing to do in the situation?

I'm not sure how those cuts could help with moisture unless they went through the slab entirely, and even then not much could pass through them. With that in mind I don't see where adding carpet tiles is going to seal off anything enough to matter here. I would ask the previous owner what kind of moisture problems they had so as to be better prepared for possible future issues.

If you wish, you can apply shoe molding over the tiles which would take care of any gaps, but these don't look excessive in your pics. Generally, when a normal carpet install is planned the baseboards are raised 1/2" to allow the carpet to tuck under them giving a better finished appearance. That looks to have been the case here, but carpet tiles are thinner than carpet and padding.

Phil

Looks to me like someone tried to make a drain/ditch around the perimeter for moisture control. Truth is, a 1/8" kerf from an abrasive blade isn't going to be sufficient width to drain water to a low point drain or sump pump.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.