+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Junction box extension of wire

Earlier this year, I had 2 lines run from the breaker to the garage to have dedicated lines for my compressor and to add more outlets for power tools.

Due to funds at the time, I was only able to get 2 rolls of 100ft of cable to make the run from the back of the house to the garage, the first drop was fine and made it to the right place and got the compressor connected.
    The 2nd run made it to the right place but not down the wall far enough, so was told that was ok, that the junction box could be mounted as it was on my ceiling and when I could afford to continue, they would just add the appropriate cable from that box down to the quads I needed installed.

Is that correct? Just looking to be informed and have some knowledge of what will be done when its done..

thank you

Default Re: Junction box extension of wire

As long as wires are terminated in accessible boxes you should be fine.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I don't have a pic with me, but the run came out of the ceiling right above where we planned, we were going to run in the wall and then have the junction box in the wall, and then conduit runs to the sides, but since the run was short, we ended up with just mounting the junction box at the ceiling and will run the conduit and quads from there..

Quote Originally Posted by cubangt View Post
    I don't have a pic with me, but the run came out of the ceiling right above where we planned, we were going to run in the wall and then have the junction box in the wall, and then conduit runs to the sides, but since the run was short, we ended up with just mounting the junction box at the ceiling and will run the conduit and quads from there..
    I take it this is just one 120V 20A circuit.

New Code requires all such circuits must now be GFCI protected so, the box you're talking about would be a good place to install a GFCI receptacle. Feed all your new receptacles from the terminals labeled "load".
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

I can get more specifics when I get home, but the box that was installed looks like this one..

the run is on its own breaker and will only run 2 quads I think is what they told me. If I could get 3 quads it would be better, but I could work with 2..

Ill try to post specifics later with breaker size, wire gauge and so one to see

Quote Originally Posted by cubangt View Post
    I can get more specifics when I get home, but the box that was installed looks like this one..

the run is on its own breaker and will only run 2 quads I think is what they told me. If I could get 3 quads it would be better, but I could work with 2..

Ill try to post specifics later with breaker size, wire gauge and so one to see
    Now I'm confused.

Each receptacle yoke (which can have up to two places to insert a plug, called duplex receptacles) counts for 180 watts.

A 20A general purpose receptacle circuit can provide 2400 watts of non-continuous power. Or, 13 yokes (6 quads).
    Likewise, a 15A can power 10 duplex receptacles (5 quads).

If powering continuous loads, which run continuously for over three hours, the wattage for a 20A circuit is reduced by 20%, so it drops from 2400W to 1920W (5 quads).

For dedicated loads, the circuit should always provide at least the amount of power for the applied load and never run overloaded.

Multioutlets: long strips containing for example up to five single receptacles, in a location like a home workshop or garage where it is unlikely all the receptacles will be used at the same time, shall be counted as only 180Watts for every 5 ft in length. So, you could have up to 66 single receptacles on one 20A circuit along your garage walls, if on strips.

Have your electrician refer to NEC 220.14 (H), (I).
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Ok, wasn't able to get the pics, but checked on what I had.

The breaker is a 20A GE breaker
    The wire that was run is 12/2 W/G Type NM-B 600V

That's whats stamped on the side of the cable..

Now, something else about this run is the following, since most of the run was done on the outside of the house under the roof eave, we had a security light installed and a single outdoor outlet where the run was then brought into the attic to make the rest of the run.. The security light is the dusk to dawn type with no switch to turn on or off, the outlet isn't used except for Christmas lights, so the light would be the only thing that could be on at the same time as other equipment in the garage, but im only 1 person, so not like im going to have 10 tools going at once, im merely making it so I don't have to disconnect and reconnect tools as I need them and to eliminate the need for extension cord as my only source of power in the garage.

I probably wont call back the same guy, since it was a little pricey at the time, but I would think that just running the conduit and setting up the quads wont cost a lot.. atleast not compared to making the runs from the back of the house to the garage.

So with the following layout illustrated below, can I run / setup more quads than I was told? Maybe I was told more quads instead of actual outlets.. But if they can do more then that would be great, cause I would have more freedom on some of the stationary tools..

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and knowledge in this, I just want to make sure when they come in know what they are telling me is true and have a better understanding.

You are making a simple thing look so complicated.

If you want to install more receptacles, go ahead, but you won't be able to run more than Semiretiredelectric indicated, at the same time.

Why don't you save some money, install a single receptacle and just plug in an extension cord with 6 outlets like we all do when we work with a few power tools?

well the extension cord is how I have worked up to this point, but im working on a car restoration and some other fabrication projects and having cords on the floor or hanging from the ceiling just wont cut it, rather have outlets close to the tools that are stationary so the cords are out of the way and no need to unplug and replug as needed.

Im looking to add, because all I have in there is 1 outlet and its tied to other things in the house and when I use it my wife complains that the lights are dimming, so that's why I opted to have the line run for just the garage.

OK, I hear you, in that case just add as many duplexes as you need so you don't have cords dangerously laying on the floor.
    Again, keep tab on the power you draw at any given time and follow the guidelines set by Semi.