+ Reply to Thread

Question Stone Basement Wall Coating Help

I have an 1890s stone farm house with stone walls that have a white coating that is crumbling. It makes a mess. You touch the wall and it crumbles. I want to correct this so it does not happen anymore. Attached are images.

Where do I start? Any instructions on how to resolve this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0885.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	1887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0883.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	1888  

Default Re: Stone Basement Wall Coating Help

Is it thicker than normal paint and kind of sandy looking when you look at it?

Could be a product called Dry-loc which is intended to seal and block water from entering. When first applied, it has to be done correctly and is very time consuming. If you don't do the necessary prep work then it degrades quickly. Walls have to be "etched" with a product that removes the surface salts and minerals that have leeched through the stone before the Dry-loc can stick. Yours could be 10+ years old or 2 years old depending on the prep work that was done.

Unfortunately no matter what it is, it will need to be removed mechanically with arm power. I doubt it's lead based but there is no gurantee when working on older homes. Probably have to sc**** and chisel it off. Looks like your stone is in good shape so be careful not to damage the mortar inbetween.

Hope that helps a little...