+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Question 2 switches / 1 box, knob and tube

we replaced most of the knob and tube in the attic and some of the walls recently. i am updating the light switches now.

in my hallway, i had 2 switches in a box: one controlled the hallway light and one controlled the patio light. there are 3 wires in the wall. the wires were too short so i am moving the box up. i picked up a Leviton 5224 switch - combination 2 switches (two black common screws w/ a ground on one side and two brass (A1 / B1) on the other.
    can anyone help with the wiring? we couldn't get it to work properly. i have kept the tab in for now to keep the two switches connected.

Default Re: 2 switches / 1 box, knob and tube

One of the problems with K&T is that sometimes switches are switching neutral rather than hot. It makes it a little more difficult to trouble shoot. In the old box you had 3 wires, one wire went to both switches (a jumper) the other two wires went to the light. That wire that goes to both switches should be connected to the jumpered screws on the double switch and the other wires to the unjumpered screws.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb