+ Reply to Thread

Thread: squeaky floors

Default squeaky floors

My house is about 50 y.o. I have top nailed, 2", oak floors in the 1st floor that squeak a lot. Several years ago, before putting in new oak floor in the front hallway. I screwed the tongue and groove, 4" subfloor to the floor joists before glueing and top nailing the new oak floor. This worked great, there are no squeaks on this new floor, yet. Is there a way to stop squeaks across the rest of the floor. The floor is open underneath, there is a crawl space. I thought about a good glue (If this might work, please, suggest a glue) along the entire length of the joist and into the joints between the subfloor. Or, screw a 1" x 1" along the joist and then lag screwing in to the subfloor. I am worried I will not get enough purchase to hold without going through the floor above. Any suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: squeaky floors

My inlaws new (20 years ago) house had noisey floors and the builder glued the subfloor to the joists from underneath.
    This helped somewhat but there were still places where it didn't eliminate it completely. After several attempts it was finally determined some of the noise was from the subfloor sliding along the fasteners making the noise. Wasn't much they could do about it short of lifting the hardwood and putting screws in then relay the floor.

I have a house that was built in 1840's and the Popular floors in the house cracked and squeeked as wyou walked acrossed it. My first floors were also open underneath from the cellar and what I used was Liquid Nails. I got the large tubes of Liquid Nails and put a bead along both side of the floor joist where it meets the hardwood floors. In my house there were some gaps where the floor was 1/2" from the joist so I took door shims and placed them in these places and then put Liquid Nails over them. It haas been nearly 8 years since then and the floors are still really good and quite. There are a few squeeks and things but I think that is just character of an old house that was built in 1840's but it is a lot better that it originally was.

Quote Originally Posted by larryjunk View Post
    . I am worried I will not get enough purchase to hold without going through the floor above. .
    What does this MEAN?

Address the structure first. Joists, sill plates, beams. If they are not secure, strong enough, moving, rotting, nothing you do from above on the flooring will correct that.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-12-2008 at 11:38 AM.