+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: My Oak Floors Keep Denting!

mark out on a piece of paper 1/8 inch square and that is pretty small. my wife doesn't have any that small. I asked her if she ever saw any that small. she laughed and said not one any human could walk on.

most measure out to approx 3/8 inch sq.
    Last edited by havanagranite; 12-09-2008 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwdyott View Post

They're small circular dents (smaller than an eraser on a pencil, but still very visible and they are all over the place). I think it was probably a woman wearing high heels that had been worn down and a nail made the dents. Is it normal for denting to occur in oak from this?
    UNFORTUNATELY YES IT IS NORMAL FOR DENTING TO OCCUR IN OAK FROM THIS.

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    OK, I come up with a rounded off 2240 lbs/sq.in. or 3500 lbs/sq.in. if it's a 1/8" diameter pin, so? I wasn't questioning the math, and although you lengthy diatribe is full of wonderful educational material about stiletto heels it still fails to answer the simple question I ask. At what point in the stride is all the wearers weight on one stiletto heel? By the way, I notice your contact area keeps getting smaller and smaller.
    Jack
    First you argue with the original poster that his floor is a cheap laminate. Then you dispute that stiletto heels, yes even kittens, CAN AND DO COMPRESS, DENT, AND DAMAGE HARDWOOD FLOORS, and then insist the damage is due to an uncured finish not possible it could be compression dent in the wood.

NO ONE BUT YOU thinks a mark can only be made when the entire weight of a person must be on one contact point/area of one shoe in order for a mark to be made. NO ONE BUT YOU seems to think it is important that for a mark to be made, the person has to be actively WALKING in order to make an indentation in a floor with a stiletto heel. DUH. You start an argument over and over. STILETTO HEEL INDENTATIONS ON HARDWOOD FLOORS ARE A COMMON OCCURANCE, especially from poorly maintained heel caps or metal capped shoes. PERIOD, END OF STORY.

DUH. the contact point on a heel mising the cap can be MUCH LESS than a 1/8" squared.

By the way just as there are nudniks who rock a chair back and teeter on the back legs of a chair there are nudnicks who will rock back on their stiletto heels and those extra special nudniks that will walk around on shoes with MISSING or BROKEN heel caps and totally DESTROY a floor, as the original poster has learned from his unfortunate party experience.

You do argue the math. Be generous, determine the area of the size of a pencil eraser, then try 80 lbs, half of the weight of the woman the original poster surmized. Then recall that the dents are SMALLER than a pencil eraser, and that she could have been STANDING STILL and shifting her weight (MORE THAN HALF) to the heel of ONE SHOE. YOU are the only one insising the heel caps were in place on these shoes, I've said all along and despite havanagrante's wife opinion, it is quite possible to walk and stand on spike heeled shoes with damaged, worn, or missing HEEL CAPS.
    Last edited by Blue RidgeParkway; 12-09-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue RidgeParkway View Post
    UNFORTUNATELY YES IT IS NORMAL FOR DENTING TO OCCUR IN OAK FROM THIS.

First you argue with the original poster that his floor is a cheap laminate. Then you dispute that stiletto heels, yes even kittens, CAN AND DO COMPRESS, DENT, AND DAMAGE HARDWOOD FLOORS, and then insist the damage is due to an uncured finish not possible it could be compression dent in the wood.

NO ONE BUT YOU thinks a mark can only be made when the entire weight of a person must be on one contact point/area of one shoe in order for a mark to be made. NO ONE BUT YOU seems to think it is important that for a mark to be made, the person has to be actively WALKING in order to make an indentation in a floor with a stiletto heel. DUH. You start an argument over and over. STILETTO HEEL INDENTATIONS ON HARDWOOD FLOORS ARE A COMMON OCCURANCE, especially from poorly maintained heel caps or metal capped shoes. PERIOD, END OF STORY.

DUH. the contact point on a heel mising the cap can be MUCH LESS than a 1/8" squared.

By the way just as there are nudniks who rock a chair back and teeter on the back legs of a chair there are nudnicks who will rock back on their stiletto heels and those extra special nudniks that will walk around on shoes with MISSING or BROKEN heel caps and totally DESTROY a floor, as the original poster has learned from his unfortunate party experience.

You do argue the math. Be generous, determine the area of the size of a pencil eraser, then try 80 lbs, half of the weight of the woman the original poster surmized. Then recall that the dents are SMALLER than a pencil eraser, and that she could have been STANDING STILL and shifting her weight (MORE THAN HALF) to the heel of ONE SHOE. YOU are the only one insising the heel caps were in place on these shoes, I've said all along and despite havanagrante's wife opinion, it is quite possible to walk and stand on spike heeled shoes with damaged, worn, or missing HEEL CAPS.
    Blue RidgeParkway,

First of all only a moron would interpret “I suspect you have installed a cheap oak laminate floor rather than solid oak.” as an argument, it was a statement of suspicion and nothing more and well before the OP stated that it was solid wood flooring.

Although I made the observation “I've seen stiletto heels worn on Southern yellow Pine floors without indentations and SYP only has a Janka rating of 870.” and followed it with my opinion “I'm more inclined to think that you finish may not have been completely cured.” This by the way was well before the OP stated that it was pre-finished flooring. But at no point did I say or imply that stiletto heels, kittens, dogs, spiked shoes, a kid on a pogo stick with a 6 penny nail sticking out the bottom, or a two ton elephant standing on a 1/8” ball wouldn’t mark a hardwood floor.

The post “ 160 pounds on a 1/4" circle is over 3000 PSI. A 1/8" circle is over 12,000 PSI!” was made after your post about stiletto heels and I ask my simple question. I didn’t say or imply that only the full weight of a person was necessary, just questioned when the full weight would be on one heel. Which, to me, was implied by the statement considering its location in the thread . I didn’t even say it wasn’t possible to put all your weight on one heel.

If you would learn to read and understand you would see that I have not started any argument over and over again but have re-asked the same question. I did not question the math. Rather than answering the simple question you come back with diatribe after diatribe with superfluous information, name calling, cutsie terms like DUH (I thought you had to be only 8 years old to use that one), a math challenge, and misinterpretations of my posts. Misinterpretations that any sane person could not fathom.

You have a nice signature on your posts, it’s to bad you don’t practice what you preach.

Jack

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

And the atomic weight of a Quark is ?

Quote Originally Posted by bsum1 View Post
    And the atomic weight of a Quark is ?

the most common the up quark has a atomic weight of 1 MeV

We better watch our spelling or it's off to our room without dinner.

well all I can say is if a person only can focus on spelling, and that is their only valid ammo. then their arguments aren't even worth listening to.

Yes and who else would focus on the trivial,I wonder?

I think you're wrong Havana, I think Quark weighed about 100 Lbs.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

While wearing high heels ?