+ Reply to Thread

Red face Sash pins in windows (circa 1910)

Hello! We own an old farmhouse in Northwestern PA that had a window overhaul around 1910 (so a visiting architect from Pittsburgh told us once). Our windows are double hung, two over two (as compared to vintage 6 over 6). Most of the windows need some sort of repair that I have been working on slowly (four out of 26 are repaired). The unique item about these windows are the "sash pins". They hold the window in place via a bolt with a spring through the stile of the window into the jamb of the casement. Some of ours are broken or missing and they seem easy enough to replace since I've been taking the window apart to replace glass and glazing anyway. Three or four years ago I was able to find them (I believe) at Crown City Hardware. Unfortunately for us, they don't seem to carry them anymore. MY QUESTION: Does anyone have any idea where I can find these sash pins or have any suggestions as to what i can do as a replacement?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Sash pins in windows (circa 1910)

I'm guessing you are talking about "Spring Loaded Sash Bolts", her are two suppliers
    http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s....12&category=76

http://www.kilianhardware.com/phelwswinspr.html

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by fruitic View Post
    Hello! We own an old farmhouse in Northwestern PA that had a window overhaul around 1910 (so a visiting architect from Pittsburgh told us once). Our windows are double hung, two over two (as compared to vintage 6 over 6). Most of the windows need some sort of repair that I have been working on slowly (four out of 26 are repaired). The unique item about these windows are the "sash pins". They hold the window in place via a bolt with a spring through the stile of the window into the jamb of the casement. Some of ours are broken or missing and they seem easy enough to replace since I've been taking the window apart to replace glass and glazing anyway. Three or four years ago I was able to find them (I believe) at Crown City Hardware. Unfortunately for us, they don't seem to carry them anymore. MY QUESTION: Does anyone have any idea where I can find these sash pins or have any suggestions as to what i can do as a replacement?
    Thanks!
    I think you're describing sash stays. There are several types. honestly for a home with windows of that vintage they were not probably the only original system. they probably had balancing weights or spring balancers and the sash stays were probably added as the window cords broke or the springs weren't working.

this page details several types including the window sash spring bolts and tension springs (click on link): http://houseofantiquehardware.com/s....category.76/.f

This is one of those cases where a picture or two is worth a thousand words. if not what you're looking for, please post some photos.

modern spring balancers can usually be retrofit. here are two links with articles that discuss and demonstrate the process:

http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magaz..._balance.shtml

this one is a video from This Old House: http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...051635,00.html

they're a safer alternative to sash stays alone, and since you're rebuilding and restoring these windows room by room, are worth considering.

Talking Re: Sash pins in windows (circa 1910)

****hiller, those are exactly what I was looking for! I was going crazy tring to find them ******. Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by fruitic View Post
    ****hiller, those are exactly what I was looking for! I was going crazy tring to find them ******. Thank you so much!
    I knew Stanley used to make these, say about 15 years back yet, but didn't know if they still did. I have quite a few new ones here in the basement yet....amongst all manner of other stuff/"treasures". Kinda nutty that they're listed under "window guards".....but whatever, eh?

IIRC, these will fit best-est/tightest (if you have to redrill/resize the hole to install them)......if you use a tapered drill bit. At least those older ones I have here do. They *will* work with a straight-sided bit though.
    Last edited by goldhiller; 12-09-2008 at 03:47 PM.